• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stick innovations

ThumbsMcGee

I got to thinking about packability with climbing sticks. I own LW sticks, full size, and the weight isn’t much of a problem. However the size of them are quite cumbersome. I don’t care much for cut down sticks that need to be used with aiders, as I just want sticks, preferably no more than 4.

Have any companies considered telescoping sticks (would obviously telescope downwards) or sticks that fold over by hinge? Also, if an engineer is inspired by this and picks up these ideas, I don’t mind....but throwing me a set of free sticks would be awesome! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got to thinking about packability with climbing sticks. I own LW sticks, full size, and the weight isn’t much of a problem. However the size of them are quite cumbersome. I don’t care much for cut down sticks that need to be used with aiders, as I just want sticks, preferably no more than 4.

Have any companies considered telescoping sticks (would obviously telescope downwards) or sticks that fold over by hinge? Also, if an engineer is inspired by this and picks up these ideas, I don’t mind....but throwing me a set of free sticks would be awesome! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Telescoping will net you about 4-6" shorter stick on a two step stick. This could be huge for someone in the interest of packability. However, it will come at the cost of very slight weight penalty(couple ounces probably per stick), and fiddle factor of having to insert and lock down a bolt/knob that serves as your button too.

You won't get a 10" long stick that telescopes to 20" though.

Hinge could get you there, but you either have to beef up the joint to make it below your attachment point (add several ounces), or make the hinge at the attachment point, which again only nets you 4-6" of shortening the package.

Long way of saying it CAN be done, the materials are available to you and I, but the demand won't be high enough for anyone serious to make them to sell, in my opinion.

I have non working prototypes of telescoping. It simply isn't worth it to continue pressing down the path. not enough benefits.

Back