• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stick/Platform combo

Fairchild#17

.lone wolf platform 1.jpglone wolf platform 2.jpglone wolf platform 4.jpglone wolf platform 5.jpg

I graduated from a full body harness, to a rock climbing harness, and now to a Tethrd Mantis saddle.
I wanted to make an ultra lite platform for those quick "hour after work" hunts since that's what I tend to hunt most anymore. I put a lone wolf seat on a lone wolf stick and the total weight came in at 4.4 pounds. I'll either take in all four sticks with aiders or maybe just do a "two stick" method and leapfrog the first stick until I get to the height I need....then hang the stick with the platform.
It definitely has some movement side to side, but it is dead quiet and spongey feeling under foot. No sudden shifting. I think I can get used to it.

Try as I might, I could not get this to kick out with side pressure.

I'm really liking the Tethrd Mantis. Even with the RC harness I found myself standing and leaning more than sitting. The true saddle makes it even more comfortable.

Try this method.

I bet that's tricky to get on

It's no more difficult than stepping up onto any other step or platform. You just need to swing your leg out a little wider. Also, it flips up and down if that's how you would prefer.
It's also one less separate thing to carry and only added 2 pounds to my stick. I'm not sure there is another 2 pound platform out there?

It's no more difficult than stepping up onto any other step or platform. You just need to swing your leg out a little wider. Also, it flips up and down if that's how you would prefer.
It's also one less separate thing to carry and only added 2 pounds to my stick. I'm not sure there is another 2 pound platform out there?
May not be. But be careful with something like that. Gravity don't fail

You are suggesting there is an inherent danger with this platform/stick setup. What are you seeing that I'm missing?
It is generally best-safety-practice to get into your stand/platform from next to and slightly above your platform, so you have the maximum possible space for your leg and foot movement off the last stick. This is directly below. I’m guessing @Mr Price sees the potential for you to get a foot or leg or clothing caught on stick or platform due to the narrower spacing, and a disgusting percentage of hunting accidents happen at the moment you enter/exit the platform. I’m definitely intrigued by your setup here; do be extra careful and it’s not a bad idea to hook that tether in before climbing onto platform in this setup. Good luck! Certainly shows ingenuity.

Understood. I’m hooked in to my harness immediately after standing on the top of the first stick, and every inch of the way until I get on my platforms. It honestly is no more difficult getting onto the platform compared to getting into the top step of a regular stick

I messed with this 2 years ago & pretty much replicated exactly what you have there. I abandoned it b/c you don’t have any support (stand-off) below the platform. The tube of the stick sees a lot of pressure in the way it’s configured. I tried adding another standoff below but then the stick didn’t bite the tree right. Be sure to inspect that tube after every use, it will fail......

You are suggesting there is an inherent danger with this platform/stick setup. What are you seeing that I'm missing?
Most likely you'll be using a linesman rope. This is#1 downfall. Linesman ropes will only keep you from going backwards not down. Leaning to the side will give a unbalance load to the stick potentially causing it to kick out from underneath you. I'd advice you to use your girth hitch before you try to step on the platform, illuminating the chance of falling. Best luck, happy hunting

I messed with this 2 years ago & pretty much replicated exactly what you have there. I abandoned it b/c you don’t have any support (stand-off) below the platform. The tube of the stick sees a lot of pressure in the way it’s configured. I tried adding another standoff below but then the stick didn’t bite the tree right. Be sure to inspect that tube after every use, it will fail......

Couldn't you move the top stand off down to just below the platform?

Most likely you'll be using a linesman rope. This is#1 downfall. Linesman ropes will only keep you from going backwards not down. Leaning to the side will give a unbalance load to the stick potentially causing it to kick out from underneath you. I'd advice you to use your girth hitch before you try to step on the platform, illuminating the chance of falling. Best luck, happy hunting
I never use a linesman’s rope unless I’m getting past a branch. I’m girth hitched from the time I leave my first stick.
Like I said. I tried side pressure in every which direction and it didn’t move

Back