• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

stick rope mod

pblclandbow

I want to do the rope mod to my lw sticks, but not sure what type of rope to order or how much of it. I'd like the rope to be a foot longer than the original strap. Any help appreciated!

Or 1/4" Amsteel - I used that on some DIY sticks and Hawk Heliums. The original strap is about 5 1/2', I did 6'-7' on mine and some do 8'.

@Diysportsman on you tube has a good video that addresses this. The amsteel won't stretch really, some of the less expensive rope will. Mine are about 8ft and that has always been enough. The video does a much better job walking you through it than I could. Check it out.

Lots of videos on this site
Go to utube and give him a like and subscribe He is great friend of saddle hunters

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
The first rope mod I did (with lone wolfs) was the 8mm static rope, but I didn't like the stretch. Then I went with the 3/8 amsteel with a diy versa button (3/8") and liked that much better. Even on the LW versa it was fine, I just went around the button twice before locking it. DIY sportsman has the videos on all this stuff. I usually go off his ideas since he's already done the math!!! G2 outdoors' video on splicing amsteel makes it a snap!! Eastern outdoors has smaller versa buttons and the doublesteps to convert the LW's. Good luck!!! Mine are pretty long (the length of a LW strap plus the extension) for big old cottonwood out west. The extra weight is negligible!

Back