• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stick Slid Down Tree

joel0711

I'm using Heliums with the Amsteel rope mod. . Coming down this morning I had stick #2 slide down to stick #1 for what reason I don't know! When my left foot sterpped on it,it decided to go earth bound! I "inch wormed" my way to it with tether and linesman rope and got down safely. I've noticed that when I loosen pressure by pulling up on the sticks to untie rope the rope falls easly due to slack. Would a tightened strap/buckle stay in place better if the stick kicks a little out is what I'm askin'. If so I do not mind the extra ounces of strap versus rope for the safety factor. A good safety factor prevents a #10 pucker factor all the time!!!!

Been there . My fault . I bumped a Muddy with my pack and it slid to the next step like yours apparently did. Glad you are ok.

I did the rope mod to my heliums. I thought it was harder to get them tight with the rope vs the original strap with cam buckle. I learned that I have to be extra conscientious with the rope to get it good and tight and locked into place.

If you want to keep the rope mod then I would suggest that you practice getting them as snug as possible at ground level on multiple tree types. That’s what I did until I was confident again that they’d stay in place.

I did the rope mod to my heliums. I thought it was harder to get them tight with the rope vs the original strap with cam buckle. I learned that I have to be extra conscientious with the rope to get it good and tight and locked into place.

If you want to keep the rope mod then I would suggest that you practice getting them as snug as possible at ground level on multiple tree types. That’s what I did until I was confident again that they’d stay in place.

++++++++++++++++++
I've been running them at an upward angle to take up some of the downward movement when set. I think I've been putting too much "extra rope" in the upward angle then when bumped the extra rope leaves plenty of slack to slide. Would you say a more horzontally wrapped rope would be better than an extreme upward angle?? I have no problem with getting the rope tight.

Sounds like you are not tying the rope properly. Be sure to go under not over and secure with a couple of half hitches. @DaveT1963 has a video or two out about that too.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Sounds like you are not tying the rope properly. Be sure to go under not over and secure with a couple of half hitches. @DaveT1963 has a video or two out about that too.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Rope didn't come loose it just got enough slack to slide down tree while still looped around tree and tied to helium.

Get it as tight horizontally as you can and tie it then pull the stick down. If you do it that way versus at an angle you’ll notice the tag end is a lot longer, meaning less slack in the rope

Yep, this is the reason I like the cam buckle. I like my sticks tight especially when I use the top one as my platform with the Hybrid. When I put side angle pressure on it I don't want it moving at all.

++++++++++++++++++
I've been running them at an upward angle to take up some of the downward movement when set. I think I've been putting too much "extra rope" in the upward angle then when bumped the extra rope leaves plenty of slack to slide. Would you say a more horzontally wrapped rope would be better than an extreme upward angle?? I have no problem with getting the rope tight.
Follow @25ftup advice. Don't start with the rope on an angle, start with it horizontal and get it as tight as you can. Then once tied off, pull the stick downwards to really tighten it to the tree, now the rope will be on a slight angle but it's tight and way less likely to move. I've yet to ever have one move doing it this way.

Last edited:
Back