• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stick up and rappel down?

Hunter260

How many people out there use climbing sticks to get up and rappel down? I don’t want to one stick, but not sure if the ease of rappelling would be worth carrying a rope if I already used 3 or 4 sticks to get up. I just get a little more nervous climbing down than up. What do you all do?

I finally got my complete setup , but have not had time off work to practice. I'm using a muddy pro to 1 stick , then rappel down.

I've been 1 sticking up, then climbing down until now.
I’ll be using 40 feet of oplux as well.

With multiple sticks , it seems it would work fine as well. Just stop on the way down and collect your sticks.

I’m loving the 1 sticking myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One stick with muddy pro and aider, Yates Shorty Screamer, and rappel with 9mm HTP static and safeguard. I really like it, and I think its a LOT safer coming down vs climbing down or one sticking down.

I'm squirrel stepping up with knaider/swaider and rappelling down. Descent with this method was difficult to say the least.

Working on some LW minis. Plan is to use knaider/swaider with those as well and rappel down.

Other than the knaider hook not staying near my knee, I really like that system better than aiders.

I already have all I need to start playing with rappel (BD ATC XT, Sterling Hollow Block, biners) just need to order HTP 9mm, just keep debating if its worth it to sell this stuff and then get all I need to use Oplux 8mm.

Device for rappeling (should say one of the devices that can be used), I have the Black Diamond versions, list above, but it only support 9-11mm rope.

Sounds like I need to try to learn about rappelling. I don’t even know what gear I would need
There are some good threads on here about rappelling, just spend some time digging, within about 2 hours credit card will be smoking and you will be on your way.

I have had good experience with ordering equipment from Rock and Snow, they seem to have some items in stock that a lot of other places were back ordered on, and very quick shipping, 2 -3 days order to door.

Not sure how significant the weight difference is between 40 feet of Oplux 8mm vs. HTp 9mm, but there sure looks to be a difference for packing (size/space).

I one stick with a Hawk shorty and rappel with 7/16 Army green line. The safety and security of rappelling down no matter your climbing method is worth it to me.

I might be wrong but the black diamond atc I have is rated for 8mm, cause I'm saving up for some oplux.

I called BD on this, they told me the BD ATC XT (what I have) only supports 9-11 mm for single rope, and down to 8 mm for double rope mode. guess I could try it, would be out of spec, just don't have a good feeling doing this being new. My thinking on this is it would be nice to have a single rope for both my tether and rappel rope, that would fit into the Mantis SYS Hauler.

Last weekend I climbed with knaider and sticks and rappelled down. At my own property I have some presets with climbing ladder sticks and I still rappel down after the hunt. The one tree has a couple branches that are tricky to get my lineman around so rappelling solves that. I've tested the Oplux with BD ATC, Kong Chuy, MR Wingman, and Grivel Master Mono. For single rope, I think the Grivel might be the only one in spec for 8mm rope so I might start stocking that one. Only issue is the Grivel has more aggressive teeth - so us bigger guys may need to replace the rope more often. The others all worked fine and I'm still here.

Last weekend I climbed with knaider and sticks and rappelled down. At my own property I have some presets with climbing ladder sticks and I still rappel down after the hunt. The one tree has a couple branches that are tricky to get my lineman around so rappelling solves that. I've tested the Oplux with BD ATC, Kong Chuy, MR Wingman, and Grivel Master Mono. For single rope, I think the Grivel might be the only one in spec for 8mm rope so I might start stocking that one. Only issue is the Grivel has more aggressive teeth - so us bigger guys may need to replace the rope more often. The others all worked fine and I'm still here.

I just orderd the Kong Cuy and a figure 8 from you of those two which do you think is the better choice on the Oplux rope?

FWIW, Kong Chuy says 8-12mm on their web site....so i think oplux is in spec.

Back