• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stick- which side of the platform?

Jokerswild

So. If a guy has a small platform Solo Scout or similar. If A guy has the platform and a Hawk Helium top step NEXT to it. Which side is better? To the left for the behind the tree move? Or... to the right for the drop shot. This assuming a right hand shooter.

I get that a ring of steps nails it all. But a small platform AND ONE should cover it all right? I was going to go with a Scout ON my HH. But...seems like a Scout with a partner could be wise? Just which side? Im thinking left...But I havent been on a scout so not sure how the right side dropper feels on it.

I put it on my right side to give a bit more to walk around the tree for weak side shots.

Edit: I've got a predator not a "mini" platform and feel comfortable leaning way out for strong side shots,

If I use sticks or even wild edge steps, however I get up, I like to set my stick/step on my weak side. Since I’m a southpaw i shoot easier to the right side. So I’ll put it on my left typically to give myself more room around the tree to shoot. But a lot of times the wind or the lean of the tree makes the choice for me and it has to go the other way because I need to face a certain way or be on the upside of the tree for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No need with the ridge runner, but if I hunted a big enough tree, I would place it strong side to walk around and have a foreward shot with cover instead of a drop shot in the open.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Try adding 3 trehopper steps to the strap of your solo-scout. Makes a big difference on moving around the tree.
So I didnt realize those were on the market anymore ..and reasonable I was looking at the scout ON a stick, but really liked Boynes timber hitch demo. Setting the platform like that, and having a stick makes me wonder if I want to fiddle with a ring of steps as well. Thus I was thinking just the stick next to the scout as a happy medium. Or just be done with and get a full size platform.

Try adding 3 trehopper steps to the strap of your solo-scout. Makes a big difference on moving around the tree.

I got the Solo Scout this season and was thinking about this set up. Does anyone have photos of this on the tree? I would be somewhat concerned about getting the cam buckle strap tight enough with the steps on the strap.

So. If a guy has a small platform Solo Scout or similar. If A guy has the platform and a Hawk Helium top step NEXT to it. Which side is better? To the left for the behind the tree move? Or... to the right for the drop shot. This assuming a right hand shooter.

I get that a ring of steps nails it all. But a small platform AND ONE should cover it all right? I was going to go with a Scout ON my HH. But...seems like a Scout with a partner could be wise? Just which side? Im thinking left...But I havent been on a scout so not sure how the right side dropper feels on it.
I am a righty, so for me it would be left side as I look at the tree. Between my platform and a move left I can shoot about 270deg or so. The other 90 I need to turn on my platform with my tether over my right shoulder or lift my bow over my tether for a shot. This year for a shot I lifted my bow over my tether.

Back