• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stickboys, Stone head podcast

I enjoyed that podcast. The whole self-bow with stone points is a rabbit hole I will probably go down at some point. In fact, I know where there is a good osage tree right now with a long straight grained trunk just waiting for me to go get it. I've been watching a lot of Ryan Gill, Jack Crafty and Robert Carter videos lately and that isn't helping, either, lol.

I enjoyed that podcast. The whole self-bow with stone points is a rabbit hole I will probably go down at some point. In fact, I know where there is a good osage tree right now with a long straight grained trunk just waiting for me to go get it. I've been watching a lot of Ryan Gill, Jack Crafty and Robert Carter videos lately and that isn't helping, either, lol.
Oh I know. My next move in the archery world is to go full primitive. What a rabbit hole.

I've always been fascinated with stone points. As a kid I would find them all the time. Usually, they were broken but every now and again I would find a good one. The best example I ever found was the one in the center of the picture below. I found it on a small dirt pedestal on a pool bank where the rain had washed it out of the soil. It's about 3 3/4 inches long. Also, in there is what we called a "bird point" but was probably what was actually used on arrows. It is the little triangular red point below the big one in the center.

I need to try my hand at some flint knapping.

Attachments

• arrowheads.jpg
    arrowheads.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 26
What always amazes me when I find a stone point is to realize that it is likely that the last time a human handled that object the pyramids were not built yet.

How many grains do those bird points weigh in at? I’ve always been fascinated by them as well. We have a local museum here today hat has a pretty vast collection Many or most found along the shores of Lake Erie. Many are bird points most were made by the Erie Indians. Sadly the Senecas extirpated that tribe from the face of the earth.

How many grains do those bird points weigh in at? I’ve always been fascinated by them as well. We have a local museum here today hat has a pretty vast collection Many or most found along the shores of Lake Erie. Many are bird points most were made by the Erie Indians. Sadly the Senecas extirpated that tribe from the face of the earth.
They can't weight much, my guess would be 30 grains. Ryan Gill (HuntPrimitive on Youtube) has a lot of information on the performance of these on game. The larger points are just too blunt and offer too much resistance, apparently from native style selfbows. I'm no expert but find this sort of thing fascinating. From what I can gather the larger points were most likely atlatl points.

Here are 2 tiny heads that I've found. Would these be considered bird points or maybe for kid's arrows??

e49035a5a47750cd7e03b45f4f7ef422.jpg
57677cb43b0cc2771452d5f771e2577f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Man o man if I could go back in time and live a week each with either the Lakota Sioux or Blackfeet and be able to live through it enough to then live weeks each with the Algonquins, Penobscot, Erie's, Senecas and Mohawks, and then the Cherokee and perhaps Seminole, Finally the Hopi and Apache, followed up by the Mandan and then the Cree and finally the Inuit. I think that would be incredible. Or whichever tribes were known to be the best bowyers and with a heavy hunting emphasis.

@Allegheny Tom The shape of the bottom one makes me think it might have been a tool other than an arrow tip. Like maybe a fleshing tool of some sort. No knowledge of stone points, just always wonder what stories they might tell.
I've wondered about the purpose of that thing ever since I found it.

Here's something that I found in Montana. Definitely looks like some sort of tool for fleshing.

2fb06671d568862de5e71dc14a43cf6f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I've always been fascinated with stone points. As a kid I would find them all the time. Usually, they were broken but every now and again I would find a good one. The best example I ever found was the one in the center of the picture below. I found it on a small dirt pedestal on a pool bank where the rain had washed it out of the soil. It's about 3 3/4 inches long. Also, in there is what we called a "bird point" but was probably what was actually used on arrows. It is the little triangular red point below the big one in the center.

I need to try my hand at some flint knapping.

Robert Carter youtube..Flint napping and yapping

Man o man if I could go back in time and live a week each with either the Lakota Sioux or Blackfeet and be able to live through it enough to then live weeks each with the Algonquins, Penobscot, Erie's, Senecas and Mohawks, and then the Cherokee and perhaps Seminole, Finally the Hopi and Apache, followed up by the Mandan and then the Cree and finally the Inuit. I think that would be incredible. Or whichever tribes were known to be the best bowyers and with a heavy hunting emphasis.
Being from SW Ohio, my choice would be the Shawnee and meeting Tecumseh. I used to hunt a property very near where he was born and always wondered if he walked there.

Back