• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sticks and Aiders - Use Both or Just sticks?

Yeuker

So what is the consensus on climbing sticks / aiders? Do most people use a combination of the two or do most of you just use sticks without aiders? I understand everyone is different but what has worked for you? I'm looking to stay reasonably light weight. I see Hawk sticks come in 30" and 22" versions? Do most people use the 30s / 22s / or a combination of them with aiders. Would love some insight before buying. Really appreciate the advice.

I use 3-API sticks, 22"-ish step/step with a single aider on each. It works pretty good. A double in bottom would be the only thing I'd change going forward.
a9532a1da24b794b2680b10c5851f5c9.jpg

I think I’m an odd ball in the bunch but I don’t usually use aiders. I just don’t like them. I just like the secure footing with just using sticks. If I do use an aider, it might be a 1 stepper at ground level just to start the climb higher up than I could otherwise, or to get above a weird thick trunk base of a tree which I’ve had to do before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@preslar1: What do you mean by "A double in bottom"? Do either of you go far into public land? I have a spot I hunt pretty regularly and its over a mile in. Also preslar, how high can you get with your 3 x 22" sticks and single step aider??

A double=2 step aider on the first stick I set on the tree.

I usually hike less 500yds. The public areas I hutlnt often aren't large pieces.

I can get 15ft or so. I don't have a platform right now, so I stand on top step. If its going to be a longer hunt, ill use my primal steps and make a ring with 3 just above the top stick. Or I'll just use the primal steps to climb and stand on. I switch out steps and sticks depending on the area.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I’ll use 4 sticks and if I use an aider It’l just be a single step aider on the bottom 2 sticks only. I can get plenty high enough for where I hunt. I never much liked them on my higher sticks.

I’ll use 4 sticks and if I use an aider It’l just be a single step aider on the bottom 2 sticks only. I can get plenty high enough for where I hunt. I never much liked them on my higher sticks.
4 x 22" (ish) sticks? or 4 x 30" (ish) sticks?

I’m not sure where you are hunting but in most places I hunt higher isn’t better because then you start having branch interference in your shooting lanes. I find 12-15 feet is about as high as I usually go. I can do that with 3 sticks and an aider I leave on the bottom stick. I have a platform mounted on the top stick. Just ordered a swaider. With that I may go to two sticks.

PXL_20210121_132207358~2.jpg
PSX_20210121_123522.jpg

Last edited:
I use 18” Mini Beast sticks all with single cable aiders. I carry a 4 step aider for the first stick in case i need to get higher than usual.

My suggestion for you walking around a mile deep is to look in to one stick with at least a 2 step aider and a scout on the top. Then you could repel down and this entire system would be less than 5 pounds. There are some good videos on how to one stick and you have all summer to perfect how to do it and what you really need. I feel safer one sticking being that I am always attached to the tree and I can go as high as I want too. Just my 2 cents.

I got into saddle hunting because of hunting on public land. I often want to hurry back to the same spot for a few hours of hunting so I keep the top two sticks at a location and just haul in the lower stick and aider. Very fast to get up and hunt that way.

I’m not sure where you are hunting but in most places I hunt higher isn’t better because then you start having branch interference in your shooting lanes. I find 12-15 feet is about as high as I usually go. I can do that with 3 sticks and an aider I leave on the bottom stick. I have a platform mounted on the top stick. Just ordered a swaider. With that I may go to two sticks.

View attachment 43492
View attachment 43493
What kind of platform is that? My hawk stick comes today and I’ve been debating on what to use with it

What kind of platform is that? My hawk stick comes today and I’ve been debating on what to use with it
Hawk HSP. I also have the Hawk mini platforms but prefer this because it is faster and one less thing to carry into the woods.

You definitely want to add the grip tape to it. It is smooth, slippery and squeaky without the tape.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think lots will be relevant to me. My plan is 3 short sticks with either a swaider/knaider or an aider.
I may even move to single sticking with a double aider then rapel, but I think I'll start with three and a built in plaform on the top stick. You guys/gals rule. Thanks!

I'm going to try single sticking it for scouting locations for sure. Rappelling gear is arriving too late for this season but I'll get lots of practice on some trees I need to take down.

I just started using a saddle late this season so I haven’t settled on any method. I am using 32 in. Lone wolf sticks. I have tried an aider but don’t care much for it. I can carry an extra stick at 2.5 lbs and make up for 2 one step aiders. To me that’s easier than using the aiders. I have 5 of the longer sticks.

So what is the consensus on climbing sticks / aiders? Do most people use a combination of the two or do most of you just use sticks without aiders?

There will be no consensus.

Really depends on how high you need/want to hunt and how comfortable you are climbing with stick add ons.

Didn't much care for stick aiders made of webbing or amsteel. Used a foot loop for a while. I find the cable aiders work well for me in terms of stability and ease of foot placement.

Aiders are nice while going up. Coming down I did not like them, especially at night. Now I rappel and only use 1 stick.

Back