• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sticks and V-Step(WE Step) combo?

cmbetke

Any one here climb using a couple sticks and a few V-Steps? Been playing with this idea in my head for a bit, and have a 4pack of primal vsteps on the way to try it out. I'm thinking to use Two sticks with a 4 step movable aider to start climbing like normal (Can get to 15ft easy with just the two sticks and aider), and then use a step or two to get you just a little bit higher. Would barley add weight/bulk with some of the ways you can pack those things. Then use 2 steps as my platform at hunting height. Thoughts?

I like the idea. Sometimes, conditions will dictate 15 feet is all you can go.

I've been using the tree hopper bolts but am toying around with bringing 1 stick and an aider. That way, I can get to 7 feet right away and then tree hop from there or just one-stick the whole way up if bolts can't be used.

I guess it depends on your goal, are you looking to reduce weight/bulk of a full set of sticks? A 4 stepp aider + knaider + 3 WE steps should get you pretty close to 20 feet depending on your height, that would leave you with 2 steps at the top of your climb for a platform. Another option may be to just one stick with the aider and carry only two WE steps for your platform.

Weight and bulk is not too much of an issue for me. I can carry the extra few pounds. The one stick method is interesting but I just like the idea of being able to climb down "quickly" if needed. I think I would make more noise trying to one stick than carrying an extra stick up the tree and hanging it. 15ft is just about perfect some times but having a few steps with you could get you just that much higher and if using the aider, it may just take one v-step to get to 20' easy and then a couple for my platform. Light and easy? or too much sh%t to carry with you?

So I've been playing in the yard for 2 weeks, I like climbing WE steps with a 5 step aider on a hook, stealth stripped steps and 2 zip ties to keep hook from moving. I do not like climbing down. I much prefer DRT repelling, as the first step into my aider is always suspect and I usually only get my toes in. But lightweight climbing for sure.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Yeah, quick descent is always an issue when using these non-conventional climbing techniques. I will be mitigating that this year by rappelling, sure I'll be taking a weight penalty but cost/benefit is acceptable in my use case. I think you're just going to have to try a few combinations in the tree to see what works best for you.

I guess it depends on your packing system/method of travel. I know for me personally the spot on my pack where I lash down my sticks is the same spot where I tie down my v-steps/carry bag. So in my use case, carrying both increases bulk/reduces packability (is that a word?) into the deer woods.

Rappelling is cool thought, but I don't see it necessary for me. I'm young (25) and nimble. I can scoot back down a tree pretty quietly and quickly. I'm definitely excited to play around with this idea ones my vsteps come in. The packability seems to be the biggest factor in this thought. I've seen guys attach a few steps to the back of their saddles real clean and nicely, for easy grab while climbing, this moves them off of a back pack and out of the way of "sticks" . Just got to get out there and hang around and see how it all works out!

After playing with the steps for a couple days, I think this will be a pretty feasible set up. I haven't quite decided the best way yet but it works.

I am using two DIY sticks as my first two at the base of the tree. The first stick will get a 4-step aider. Climb up hang second stick. I could move the aider up but that is an option for if I think I need to get another few feet per step! This makes the set up expandable. After the second stick I set one V-step. I'm at 15ft easy by now. I use one more V-step, then set two more side by side as my 'platform'. I will play more with this and see how high I can actually get!

Two sticks pack together nicely and are not too bulky and 2-4 v-steps pack together nicely as well without too much added weight. Using the two sticks at the base of the tree allows for being able to quickly get up the tree and get ya started. The v-steps come in handy when already climbing and you dont have 2 other climbing sticks hanging off of your back potentially smacking the tree or your already hung steps. The v-steps stack nicely and can be placed into your waistband while climbing for easy reach.....Once I replace the buckles on the v-steps I think this will be a pretty sweet set to be able to quickly and SAFELY get up and down a tree. Practice practice practice! I think I'm starting to get the ~hang~ of this thing! (see what I did there)

I will follow back up.

Did some silencing on the primal steps with some
Camo self adhesive tape and camo duct tape. I also removed the buckles and tried using just the webbing slack and did the WEI knot to tie off and it works perfectly. Them buckles are way heavy that come on the steps and they make too much noise. For basically 0 money they are lighter, silent, and cooler haha! They work

b251f3b260663bc9f5f198f9e375427d.jpg
d918cf5032f49209e20cf85f4e516a05.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did some silencing on the primal steps with some
Camo self adhesive tape and camo duct tape. I also removed the buckles and tried using just the webbing slack and did the WEI knot to tie off and it works perfectly. Them buckles are way heavy that come on the steps and they make too much noise. For basically 0 money they are lighter, silent, and cooler haha! They work

b251f3b260663bc9f5f198f9e375427d.jpg
d918cf5032f49209e20cf85f4e516a05.jpg

I removed my buckles also and have been tying the webbing. I'm thinking about buying Helium's for climbing and using my Primal's for platform only. Maybe using all 8 of the steps for presets.

I removed my buckles also and have been tying the webbing. I'm thinking about buying Helium's for climbing and using my Primal's for platform only.
That's where my mind is at right now. I have my two DIY sticks that work and can get me up to 12-15 feet with movable aider. So I'm thinking of starting with my sticks then using one maybe two primal steps to get just that much higher and then I have two more primal steps to use as my platform! I think its gonna be a pretty slick set. And I always have the option of moving the aider every step of the way....Max height could be the tree tops!! :p

I decided to try making a bag for my primal steps.

Should do it’s job nicely. I made it big to fit another set of four steps in there. Closes with a big drawstring!
0a0a4866067eafe90e3592bcb97c0fab.jpg
500708021f0c494bb26d92cf897ee1d3.jpg

Back