• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sticks to preset

Still Kicking

SH Member
I've had my eye on an Oak for the saddle and was intending to throw a line today. The problem turned out to be too many limbs in the way of the one I want to get a line around. I looked it over well and decided to come back with the sticks and saw to set my line. Is this a problem for anyone else or am I just too picky with my trees? I really like the location of this Oak as it will allow shots to two converging trails from bedding to food and I can also watch activity in the creek bottom below in case I want to make a sit there sometime.

Sometimes there's only one "right tree" in the spot, and I'd rather spend the extra time and energy to hunt it instead of being nearby. Not being able to get into the "right tree" with my climber was a big part of why I switched to saddle hunting. That said, when I'm presetting a tree, I try awfully hard to make it as simple, quiet, and low-energy as possible for future climbs. Since you mentioned sawing limbs, I assume you're hunting private, and if so, screw-in steps or bolts might be a better presetting option (unless you're really trying to avoid damaging the oak for lumber value). Otherwise, your plan sounds good to me!

Back