• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stiff climbing rope?

Recurveaholic

My climbing rope is really stiff and someone recommended washing it in soapy water and letting it soak but not sure about that, any thoughts would be helpful!!! Thank you in advance!

KM-III static line
The static lines are usually are made a really tight weave cover that makes stiff so they don't stretch like the dynamic ropes that are mainly used by rock climbing and static ropes are mainly used by arborist!

The static lines are usually are made a really tight weave cover that makes stiff so they don't stretch like the dynamic ropes that are mainly used by rock climbing and static ropes are mainly used by arborist!
That's what I thought that's why I got the static line cause it is used by arborist and all I am using it for is tree climbing so I thought it would be the best one! It works fine it is just harder to pack in and out the woods!

https://www.maximropes.com/fileadmin/Download/User_Instruction_6800501_Kernmantle_rope_2016-09.pdf

Page 6.

Lukewarm water rinse, rub down with a rag if necessary to get off excess dirt. Air dry, store dry - don’t put up wet.

I don’t see a need for soap, but I’d make sure whatever I was using was compatible with the rope components.

Buy a more supple rope if it’s an issue. I wouldn’t try to engineer it yourself. Soaking ropes is usually a no-no
I did not think soaking it was a good idea, thanks!

https://www.maximropes.com/fileadmin/Download/User_Instruction_6800501_Kernmantle_rope_2016-09.pdf

Page 6.

Lukewarm water rinse, rub down with a rag if necessary to get off excess dirt. Air dry, store dry - don’t put up wet.

I don’t see a need for soap, but I’d make sure whatever I was using was compatible with the rope components.

Buy a more supple rope if it’s an issue. I wouldn’t try to engineer it yourself. Soaking ropes is usually a no-no
The instructions are for cleaning the rope not to making it soft!

I prefer my tether to be stiff (not meant to sound dirty). It seems like it is easier to disengage and move up the tree as I climb. Now it's not snake charmer stiff, but it is still rigid. 13mm static

Static rope will not become flexible because the material it’s constructed with will not stretch. I bought some last year to use for my lineman’s rope and it would not grip the tree. It would slip down. Wrong purpose

Back