• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stiffening the linemans rope?

Ghetto

Is there DIY method for a stiffening your lineman’s rope? I think if it was stiffer for at least a portion of the circumference it would be easier to maneuver while climbing.

I’d like to switch to oplux this year and this is a concern.

Don't really know why you would want it stiff. If climbing light poles using a lineman's technique they throw their straps upward as they progress using spurs. A stiff lineman's attachment on a tree would slip easier with less tendency to grab if you fell, Granted, it is a bit more of a headache to walk it up, particularly on a tree where tends to "grab" easily but that grabbing effect going up is the same effect you are counting on should you slip with only a lineman's attachment. I've tried both stiff and more flexible ropes for downward slippage and the flexible rope wins every time for me.

Don't really know why you would want it stiff. If climbing light poles using a lineman's technique they throw their straps upward as they progress using spurs. A stiff lineman's attachment on a tree would slip easier with less tendency to grab if you fell, Granted, it is a bit more of a headache to walk it up, particularly on a tree where tends to "grab" easily but that grabbing effect going up is the same effect you are counting on should you slip with only a lineman's attachment. I've tried both stiff and more flexible ropes for downward slippage and the flexible rope wins every time for me.

Thank you for the insight.

I was just thinking that it would be easier to flip it up when climbing funky trees with knots etc without getting hung up.

The trees in the woods seem to be a lot different than the ones in the how-to videos.

Is there DIY method for a stiffening your lineman’s rope? I think if it was stiffer for at least a portion of the circumference it would be easier to maneuver while climbing.

That's what she said. :D

They do sell a protective sleeve for the linesman ropes and that gives them more body to them!

Idk. A protective sleeve on your rope takes a lot of the fun out of it but will likely keep it in better condition for future use. Give and take.

What about maybe a section of like the wire mesh loom stuff for making wiring harnesses?

This got me to thinking about a DIY one. If you were to make one with Amsteel and do a full bury with say 14' for a 7' end product, you could put some type of bailing wire or weedeater cord inside the inner section. I may try this, I've got some coming I am going to be doing a DIY amsteel triad bridge.

I have oplux, and it is too pliable for me to enjoy it as a lineman belt. I also wanted a "more rigid" lineman rope for sliding up the tree with me. I went with the sterling htp 9mm. it is quite a bit stiffer than oplux.

Last edited:
Back