• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stiffer flat webbing: Nylon vs Polypro vs Polyester

bow shot

Looking at 1" flat webbing. Anyone know which is the stiffest of the three for similar load/break strength? Looking for stiff, not limp.

I see CustomTieDowns.com has some very stong nylon @ 1"...

I have some flat webbing that I got from CMC Rescue https://www.cmcpro.com/equipment/flat-web/. It is orange, but I called them and got some flat black webbing that is rated at 6000 lb or 26.7kN. It is quite stiff and works well for use as a tether or bridge or both. I took it to an upholstery shop and had them sew the ends of my tether and bridge.

Just bare in mind they have different stretch in them too. Not sure if that will matter in what your using it for.

Last edited:
I have some flat webbing that I got from CMC Rescue https://www.cmcpro.com/equipment/flat-web/. It is orange, but I called them and got some flat black webbing that is rated at 6000 lb or 26.7kN. It is quite stiff and works well for use as a tether or bridge or both. I took it to an upholstery shop and had them sew the ends of my tether and bridge.
Excellent, thanks very much. Any idea if its too thick to feed through a cam buckle?

I can send you a small piece if that's a concern...let me know.

ah, thanks very much. Stiff? I'm after something stiffer than tubular nylon. Also, any idea if it will feed through a basic cam buckle?
The webbing is stiff. At .10/2.5 mm it may be thicker than tubular webbing. I do not have any experience with tubular webbing to compare the two products. If the cam buckle has enough clearance in the specs for the listed thickness it should fit.

Looking at 1" flat webbing. Anyone know which is the stiffest of the three for similar load/break strength? Looking for stiff, not limp.

I see CustomTieDowns.com has some very stong nylon @ 1"...

Check out strapworks. They will send you 6” samples of any 6 pieces of webbing you are interested in, for free. There customer service is excellent. Contact them. I’m sure they can point you in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The webbing is stiff. At .10/2.5 mm it may be thicker than tubular webbing. I do not have any experience with tubular webbing to compare the two products. If the cam buckle has enough clearance in the specs for the listed thickness it should fit.
yeah, that's one of the obstacles; its tough to find the drawings/specs on the buckles, particularly, the definition of the slots that the webbing would feed through. I'm finding that for the ones that I have on hand, about 0.07" which is about the thickness of the tubular, is max. Hard to tell though. just gotta keep digging :^D

Check out strapworks. They will send you 6” samples of any 6 pieces of webbing you are interested in, for free. There customer service is excellent. Contact them. I’m sure they can point you in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great tip right there. I'll do it.

Tether, bridge, steps, lineman's, sticks, drags... just about anything. I'm in the research stage, experimenting with different cords, webbing, buckles, etc., poking aroundand dialing in.

FWIW, I have a single 12' section of 1", stiff webbing that came as a runner/sling with a climbing system that I bought many years ago. I like it for just about everything. I'm unable to identify it (maker/material). This thread is my tool to identify and then purchase a serious length of it.

Beside the sling, I have an old set of Loggy Bayou strap-on steps. They used what looks like the same material, judging by stiffness and thickness. My hunt is basically for the strongest, stiffest stuff that will go through a basic cam buckle without issue.

'And not sure why I bothered listing polypro, i know it's not in the same league as nylon and polyester.

Back