• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Still deciding, versa or regular straps

Bowtech12

Sep 10, 2017
Western New York
I’m m still deciding between these two

the versa straps seem to take longer to put on
I’m m not sure it’s worth the 2lbs of weight savings

MathewsMan7

Dec 2, 2019
Versa straps over regular straps for your sticks...amsteel daisy chains are better than both IMO. Easier and faster.

Reactions: Ghetto

Flee

Jul 24, 2019
I like amsteel daisy chains for my sticks and I have an extra versa strap so I used it on my ridge runner and like it.

huntin_addict

Jun 18, 2018
Erie County, PA
Wasn't fond of the Versa straps. Giving some amsteel aiders some trial runs on my sticks, but for platform I'll stick with the stock strap.

swampdonkey

May 25, 2019
Wisconsin
For sticks versa straps are great. Ran them all last season and love them.

For platforms... no. Use cam buckle.

Sent from d_mobile

Why not for a Platform? Do they just not tighten down enough?

I was actually looking at them last night at the Tethrd site as I was thinking of picking up the Predator to replace my DIY Seat platform this year but wasnt fond of the idea of using a buckle strap again so figured the Versa Strap would be a good buy?

d_rek

Sep 25, 2014
SELP Michigan

I was actually looking at them last night at the Tethrd site as I was thinking of picking up the Predator to replace my DIY Seat platform this year but wasnt fond of the idea of using a buckle strap again so figured the Versa Strap would be a good buy?

Too much fiddle factor to get it tight enough. I was having to turn my predator sideways to get it another daisy chain loop snug then rotate it back onto tree and then finish pushing down and camming it over. Would usually take several tries to get the platform tight enough. With cam buckle it’s just easier and faster.

Sent from d_mobile

Reactions: swd and Apex7

swampdonkey

May 25, 2019
Wisconsin
Too much fiddle factor to get it tight enough. I was having to turn my predator sideways to get it another daisy chain loop snug then rotate it back onto tree and then finish pushing down and camming it over. Would usually take several tries to get the platform tight enough. With cam buckle it’s just easier and faster.

Sent from d_mobile

Ah yeah i can see how that would get to be a pain when trying to set up quickly and quietly.

Maybe ill skip em for now as I hate excessive fiddling when trying to set up. I like to be as quick and stealthy as possible.

d_rek

Sep 25, 2014
SELP Michigan
Ah yeah i can see how that would get to be a pain when trying to set up quickly and quietly.

Maybe ill skip em for now as I hate excessive fiddling when trying to set up. I like to be as quick and stealthy as possible.

Let me reiterate: they are fantastic for sticks. Very quick and quiet. Just not so great for platforms IMO.

Sent from d_mobile

Reactions: Allegheny Tom

swampdonkey

May 25, 2019
Wisconsin
Let me reiterate: they are fantastic for sticks. Very quick and quiet. Just not so great for platforms IMO.

Sent from d_mobile
I use Amsteel on my sticks, works great.

But most often i have my squirrel steps as i don’t like the bulk of carrying sticks.

JGH

Aug 4, 2019
Michigan, Van Buren county

I use a Versa strap for my predator. I think it works great !

Reactions: swampdonkey

flinginairos

Vendor Rep
Sep 19, 2014
I use the minis on my Predator with a trimmed down button and it works great. Used it all season and only had a couple times it took me a little longer to get it set but overall it’s pretty easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: swampdonkey

swampdonkey

May 25, 2019
Wisconsin
I use the minis on my Predator with a trimmed down button and it works great. Used it all season and only had a couple times it took me a little longer to get it set but overall it’s pretty easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likely going to use Amsteel as I have that stuff laying all over my garage in various diameters after more consideration, and I like DIY.

parkconner

SH Member
Feb 12, 2019
Pennsylvania
I agree with the majority on this thread. I use the mini versa’s on my sticks and the cam buckle on platforms. It all can be used just personal preference.

Allegheny Tom

SH Member
Feb 4, 2018
Western Pennsylvania
There is another thread right now about Predator pull away of the top standoff.
The reason for pull away is usually due to the strap not being perfectly level before the cam down...essentially the strap is not tight and not in a level position.
The same concept can happen with versa straps. When you hook the strap, you usually have 2 options for which loop...1 is tight and level and the other loop is not quite tight enough, but it kinda works. Sometimes the "right" loop is just a fraction of an inch too tight, so the other option is the next looser loop. Losing that inch or 2 can make a difference on how secure of a set you get.
There are a few techniques to address that. Twist the strap to essentially shorten it so the proper loop works, or wrap the strap around the post 1 or 2 times and then hook the loop.
Addressing strap tightness with versa straps can be done, but sometimes there is a fiddle factor.
Cam straps have less fiddling, but they have the weight and noise factor.
All this stuff has trade offs.

Reactions: LoadedLimbs