• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Straps moving in the wind

Solocam92

How do you guys minimize the risk of all the straps and stuff on your set up (saddle/backpack) moving in the wind and alerting deer? Switching from a stand to a saddle this year it feels like there’s infinitely more straps/rope/cords/etc to blow around. I’m using my linemans belt as my bridge so I have a long section of rope to deal with but I think I can tuck it into my sitdrag/harness somewhere. My bigger concern is my backpack (Alps Pursuit) has a lot of straps for stuff that I’m afraid of moving when hanging from the tree. I don’t want to cut them all off cause I use them for attaching my bow and climbing sticks to the pack. I have the backpack hanging from a daisy chain and it likes to swing a bit as well when things get windy.

Maybe I’ve just got to mess around with it more to find places to tuck them all. I’ll experiment with it more this weekend.

I use elastic stretch bands to secure my straps where possible (such as these on the badlands packs).
strap.jpg
Anything i cant use those on I just tuck and fold were possible.

Velcro One-Wrap. (3/4" width) Cut it into 6-inch long pieces, then cut each of those in half lengthwise. Tuck one end of the velcro against the strap end, then roll the strap over itself until snug. Then wrap the hanging velcro around the bundle and adhere to itself. Cheaper than web dominators.

1567190829517.png

Linemans gets daisychained across my rear. Backpack doesn't really have any loose straps. If I climb with bolts, no straps there. Tether usually just gets laid across the top of my pack.

I know a certain highly respected hunter just did a video on dangling straps, but here in the deep south literally every tree has a grape, honeysuckle, smilax, creeper, or ivy vine dangling from it. The woods are constantly moving on a windy day. I don't worry about it too much. My ROS strap usually just hangs free. Killed 3 deer inside of 20 yards that way last year.

If the deer look up to see your backpack straps, you have other issues like scent dispersal or noise. Point being, they wouldn’t pick up on straps up there more than the one on your bottom stick or the ground scent you leave behind or just your overall movement while hunting IMO. If you’re that concerned about it or they make noise, use the webbing retainer methods above or get some webbing dominators from @DanO

Back