• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Strapworks 6mm accessory cord?

Marmuzz

Does anyone have any info on the 6mm accessory cord Strapworks.com sells?

Their website (link here) offers 6mm prusik cord, which on the listing they state has a breaking strength of 1955 lbs. (8.7 kN). They don’t however list the manufacturer.

I contacted them inquiring about it, and what they emailed me appears to be a catalog page from Pelican Rope (below). However, the listed strengths and sizes for the accessory cord on that document do not match their website. The only thing does match is that it’s black accessory cord, lol.

The 1955 MBS which Strapworks has stated is suitable enough for friction hitch use, but I’m not inclined to entrust my life to a cord for which I cannot verify the manufacturer and origin.

Has anyone else ever used this cord and/or dealt with Strapworks about this to verify the cordage?

Attachments

• Tensile Strength Report - PRUSSIC CORD 6MM 060122-1.pdf
    365.3 KB · Views: 10
No experience with strapworks cord, but the rating is too low for my liking, even if you can verify the origin is a climbing rope manufacturer. Probably the most commonly used 6mm friction hitch cord, Sterling TRC, has an MBS of 3484 lbs / 15.5 kN.

Edelrid Aramid 6mm has a rating of 20kN. I've bought both the loop prussics and the cord, although I personally prefer the Beal 5.5mm.

I wouldn't buy it. I only buy life support stuff direct from manufacturer or from trusted sites that sell a lot of rope for climbing/arborists/saddle hunting and know enough to put the specs and maker right on the original product description page (they know you'll ask, so they tell you before you ask). I also never buy life support stuff from amazon or ebay, too much of a chance of a counterfeit or used product or something old and not properly stored.

Edit: Also, I've never heard of Pelican rope. They might be great, but I only buy from "household name" type rope companies (Sterling, Edelrid, New England, etc).

Yeah that’s gonna be a no from me dawg. If they can’t provide spec or it doesn’t match nope. Another option is sterling hollow block. It’s 6.8mm but because it’s flat it feels small.

I wouldn't buy it. I only buy life support stuff direct from manufacturer or from trusted sites that sell a lot of rope for climbing/arborists/saddle hunting and know enough to put the specs and maker right on the original product description page (they know you'll ask, so they tell you before you ask). I also never buy life support stuff from amazon or ebay, too much of a chance of a counterfeit or used product or something old and not properly stored.

Edit: Also, I've never heard of Pelican rope. They might be great, but I only buy from "household name" type rope companies (Sterling, Edelrid, New England, etc).
Agreed, 100%. I was curious with Strapworks because I know they do sell some materials I’d deem trustworthy like BlueWater webbing and mil-spec webbing so I thought maybe they could supply a spec for this cordage. But it’s giving me a bad taste in regards to unverifiable data a la Chinese Amazon climbing products. I think I’ll just buy materials from them for non-life support applications.

Pelican Ropes is a legit American company. That cord is probably more durable with a polyester cover than the typical nylon accessory cord.

Pelican Ropes is a legit American company. That cord is probably more durable with a polyester cover than the typical nylon accessory cord.
I thought I had heard you mention Pelican around here before. It still concerns me that Strapworks specs don’t line up with the Pelican source page they sent me.

Trying to follow your link brings me back here so I went to Pelican’s site and found a nylon core-polyester cover 6mm cord, but it had a higher break strength. Its not unusual for similar cords and ropes that are specially made for retailers to end up with different specs.
8FA15747-2393-42DE-A99D-0AD9EDC2A196.png

Back