• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stretching WE stepps ropes?

Huntorbhunted

Just wonder now that my WE STEPPS showed up do I need to prestretch the ropes? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Just wonder now that my WE STEPPS showed up do I need to prestretch the ropes? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I would start using them. No knaider/swaider. No aiders just the steps. By the time you can tie the knot with the right amount of tension for a proper cam over 90 percent of the time on the first try they will be plenty stretched. Then you can start adding extra stuff like aiders if you choose to use them. They are pretty safe even if not perfect until you add all the extra stuff to them.

It was also very helpful for me to stretch the ropes. I really do like the thought of practicing with them AND stretching them at the same time. I would take each stepp and tie it off, put ALL your weight on it, even bounce a little. Then tighten the knot and re-cam it as tight as you can and let it sit for a day or two.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Only 2 trees I have are in my front yard and they way these things sell I'm too nervous to leave them out for a day or two lol

lol i only have one tree and its in my front yard and im in the same boat haha. When mine arrive i will be driving 20 mins to my dads house and putting them on one of the trees on his property. then having him take them off in 24 hours or so then i go and pick them up

I highly recommend following the stretch protocol. I believe it helped me be able to get them tighter.

And if you don’t know, the alternate tying method also was a great help to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I highly recommend following the stretch protocol. I believe it helped me be able to get them tighter.

And if you don’t know, the alternate tying method also was a great help to me.

I tried out the perch on some non stretched ropes (we didnt know at the time) and that thing wiggled the step loose in a matter of one minute. But once we used the steps that had been stretched it was way more solid

I tried out the perch on some non stretched ropes (we didnt know at the time) and that thing wiggled the step loose in a matter of one minute. But once we used the steps that had been stretched it was way more solid

Question you said it was way more solid but does it still move around on you? What kind of tree have you tried it on. I can’t Sexton get my step to be solid with the perch. ( I am 6’4 - 260 ) tall and heavy!

Question you said it was way more solid but does it still move around on you? What kind of tree have you tried it on. I can’t Sexton get my step to be solid with the perch. ( I am 6’4 - 260 ) tall and heavy!

i dont own the perch i just used it for a short while testing it. so i dont have extensive use. I used on an oak and a pine tree. Obviously the pine tree was a little more loose. I do believe that if you move around a bunch while you are hunting it will wiggle loose. essentially what you are doing is using the leverae to dig the standoffs and the V-bracket deeper into the tree which loosens the step. not necessarily that the ropes are stretching. Obviously the more you weigh the faster it will happen

Last edited:
I just put new ropes on mine and attached them to a telephone pole in the back yard so I didn't scar up any trees. I left them on for probably about 12 hours in the hot sun.

Back