• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

String Climbing Steps W/ Swaider n Knaider

Aksisu11

Vendor Rep
Hey guys! I've been toying with the idea of getting the WE steps and using the swaider n knaider technique. Then I thought what about just using a amsteel rope and looping it through it's self. Then on the tag end I would attach two loops using tubular webbing. This would allow me to use the swaider and knaider technique to climbing trees. The nice thing about this is the weight, and how looping it through itself would eliminate having to use metal rachets to hold the step mechanism to the tree. I would literally just be carry a bag of amsteel ropes with tubular webbing loops. What do you guys think? Has anyone seen this tried before with success or failure?

Here are some pictures of the concept I'm trying to do with a strap instead of an amsteel lope.
8bf23629948db1384bc16a81e9c548cd.jpg
5235d73da40be2ba1e0e0f150ad82c1f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Maybe a little dicey getting stabilized. I know when using my aiders and my toe slips from tree it can become a hassle to get stabilized again. Having a stick to hold onto helps greatly. Could get interesting without something as a handhold to use.

Cool idea though. Let us know how it works out.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Getting that knee hook on a ladder rung is hard enough. Fishing around with it to pick up a moving loop that's sitting close to the trunk would be tough, in the dark? Plus nothing solid under your feet when your setting the next set of loops sounds a little unstable, at 25-30 feet. Now lets look at the order of operations to using the knaider/swaider. Clip on the carabiner to the rung, then step up, get the knee hook on and step up, unhook the carabiner and step up on the rung. You'll miss this step up with your system, because you don't have anything solid to step up on, so you'll lose that distance as well. Not a deal breaker. For you, you'll have to choke another set of loops on, and starting from your knee hook, hook up your carabiner,and step up to the knee hook. etc. Not to say it can't be done, but i like having that solid rung,to hook to, and to stand on. I also stand on my last step to get a couple of feet more as I climb on to my platform. Remember it's always easier to go up. Of course you could rappel down,and pick up all your choke sets on the way down. If you pursue it I'd be curious to know how you worked it out.

Yeah, I think I may be a bit of a struggle at first and may need a small ledge to stand on. May be able to slide the rope through a small step or something. More to come!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

This seems similar to the aider/tether climbing method. The big difference I see is that you're in a tether the whole time so it's a little safer than a lineman belt. I would consider going that route for a super lightweight climbing system, but I'm curious to see what you come up with, good luck! Oh also check out @sampotter's 2 rope climbing method.

Couple of thoughts...

Could be dicey but...

What if you ran knaiders on each leg and placed a loop at ~2ft intervals?

Or instead of a swaider use a multistep aider with a knaider: stand on knaider and the last step of aider to set next cord.

Stock answer: try it (close to the ground) and let us know!

Back