• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Summit Bucksteps

erikmcgarrh

Has anyone used these as a climbing method? They look very stackable and weigh 10 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@BCHunter did a nice write up on them when he tried them
I haven't done a write up on these, but I do own them. I think you may be thinking about the razor short maxes?

The summits I have are the older version. They are aluminum, and pretty light. The only "problem" is that they don't have folding steps. The part that touches the tree is flat so it slides down, but it gets tight that way.

The new version has a hook for the strap that would be perfect for a daisy chain. You can also drill them out a ton to lighten them up. I got one stick under 2lbs with a rope mod.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I have only 2 as I was experimenting with making a strap on platform using the other one.

I haven't done a write up on these, but I do own them. I think you may be thinking about the razor short maxes?

The summits I have are the older version. They are aluminum, and pretty light. The only "problem" is that they don't have folding steps. The part that touches the tree is flat so it slides down, but it gets tight that way.

The new version has a hook for the strap that would be perfect for a daisy chain. You can also drill them out a ton to lighten them up. I got one stick under 2lbs with a rope mod.

Sounds like with modifications these could be a good option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love these steps... I own 3 sets (12 total) and am beginning to wonder if I need to hang on to that many.

A little late to the dance. Do you have a pic of your rope mod? I was looking into rope mods for my older buck steps. They pack well and I can really stretch with them and gain a several feet with a couple of aiders.

I just put a versa button on one of them. On the next ones I mod, I'm just going to girth hitch some amsteel that has an eyelet on one side to the stick. You can then use the aluminum tab/loop thingies like a boat cleat. it's super easy and lightweight.

I just put a versa button on one of them. On the next ones I mod, I'm just going to girth hitch some amsteel that has an eyelet on one side to the stick. You can then use the aluminum tab/loop thingies like a boat cleat. it's super easy and lightweight.
Thanks! Mine doesn't have the "cleat" just a hole for the metal hook. Guess I just need to take one apart and start playing with ideas.

Thanks! Mine doesn't have the "cleat" just a hole for the metal hook. Guess I just need to take one apart and start playing with ideas.
Glad I saved this pic of when I did it for my buddy
e87589b365f15a08a3f4575605b2f695.jpg

b442da123612e171d48138f5448c46fc.jpg

I have a friend who welds aluminum and had him weld this up using 1” square tubing with 1/16” walls. Haven’t had time to try yet. I have a Harken cam cleat to put on the stick. It is 12” across the front. Hope to use one sticking and for platform.

I have a friend who welds aluminum and had him weld this up using 1” square tubing with 1/16” walls. Haven’t had time to try yet. I have a Harken cam cleat to put on the stick. It is 12” across the front. Hope to use one sticking and for platform.
I removed the metal hooks from the original strap, girth hitched one side of the strap to the step and put on a rubber coated hook on the other end for one stickin.

Back