• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Summit open Shot

jbogg

I have used the Lonewolf Handclimber for the past three seasons as my climbing method and platform. The handful of failures that I have seen on this site caused me to look for other options. Someone had recommended the Summit open shot so I ordered one to give it a try. I had a stainless steel plate welded in place. Touched it up with a little camo paint and some grip tape and it looks like it was sent from the factory this way. It comes in at 5.6 pounds, so about a pound and a half heavier than my Lonewolf, but not much of a penalty for such a solid feeling option. It definitely climbs easier, and seems less apt to be kicked loose while hunting.
7879D3BF-8573-4886-A4F5-D6E90A845048.jpeg

For sure. I always have it attached to my teather. I still have to add foot straps and the cord for teather.

Some more on this approach

Well done! I’ve been thinking of trying this. The bummer is that the top portion isnt sold alone. I have an old x stand climber i may try. Still brand new never used so might as well try. Light too

Well done! I’ve been thinking of trying this. The bummer is that the top portion isnt sold alone. I have an old x stand climber i may try. Still brand new never used so might as well try. Light too

I was hoping to be able to purchase just the top portion as well. Ended up buying the entire stand so I decided the bottom foot climber could be used as well. I plan on stashing it at one of my hard to get to spots in the mountains so when I hike way back there I won’t even have to pack in the modified upper portion.

Looks to me like you could still use it as a traditional climber using your new foot platform as a seat Just need a cushion when using it that way I like it Good idea man

Welcome to the club! This will be my second season using my modded Open shot. I absolutely love it!! It weighs in at a few ounces over 5 pounds. My only suggestion is to file the teeth that bite the tree sharper so it bites better. It makes it more stable. I hunt hill country so I don't need to apply side pressure so it works perfect for me.tree1.jpgtree2.jpg

I have one, used it a lot but always felt I was going to fall out of it when setting. I cut the seat bar out and made it into a standing stand, that way I can lean against the tree or hang or stand. Works well but you have to strap the top to the tree because it's so light, I just strap the cable to the tree. Of course it is still a climbing stand but sometimes it is what I need.

Looks to me like you could still use it as a traditional climber using your new foot platform as a seat Just need a cushion when using it that way I like it Good idea man

It could definitely still be used as a regular climber. As you said, just add a cushion.

Last edited:
I have used the Lonewolf Handclimber for the past three seasons as my climbing method and platform. The handful of failures that I have seen on this site caused me to look for other options. Someone had recommended the Summit open shot so I ordered one to give it a try. I had a stainless steel plate welded in place. Touched it up with a little camo paint and some grip tape and it looks like it was sent from the factory this way. It comes in at 5.6 pounds, so about a pound and a half heavier than my Lonewolf, but not much of a penalty for such a solid feeling option. It definitely climbs easier, and seems less apt to be kicked loose while hunting.
View attachment 67403
Very nice finish. I used the LW top for 3 seasons. Loved the weight and compact but not as stable. I had an old summit open shot that I used for 2 seasons and although it's larger it's way better. I put 1" square tube and two cross straps. I put an amsteel loop on the outside and atttach to my tether. All I do is pull up the rope and guide with my feet to climb. Works like a charm. You can als turn 360 on the platform which is tough on the LW.

Attachments

• IMG_2209.jpeg
    IMG_2209.jpeg
    846.5 KB · Views: 25
Back