• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Swamp’s Famous Jambalaya

swampsnyper

Brown sausage in a little oil. Then remove extra oil. Leave the burnt crumbs.

2165198ec11e4202672010f4435454e8.jpg

Add onions, bell peppers, mince garlic, and green onions. Cook down a little until things start to water up. Keep stirring scraping the bottom, getting all the crusties from the sausage mixed into the gravy.

40a20caddf0ac3a17bfb75a338606394.jpg

Add chicken and season with your favorite spices. Cook until almost falling apart.

370f55e73e57740c6cbc196ead8c3922.jpg

4271d9c1b1e0fe2f059d39eec6fda9ec.jpg

Add rice until it looks like the right amount. Measure by the cup as you go. Then double how many cups you used of rice to add that much water. I usually substitute 1/2 of the water needed with chicken broth. Don’t forget to estimate how much juices you had in the pot before you added rice. That goes toward your total water amount.

0d1df42b6a2989845a0be5b67fff1e2f.jpg

Taste this mixture and add more seasoning if needed. It should be a little more saltier and spicier than how you want the finish product. The rice will soak it all up and swell so you have to compensate. Stir slowly as you bring back to a boil. When it starts to get thick, turn fire to low and cover for 10-15 min at a low simmer. Check to see if a little water is left at top. This is when you fluff your rice. Dig deep and flip over. Don’t mash.

9283659447e33b9e58bae53e11cb576b.jpg

170503c191071637c4b7ab868eb9d609.jpg

Turn fire off. Cover and let rest for 30min.

Last edited:
That looks awesome. My 11 loves jambalaya. His favorite food.

What Sausage do you use and how long do you cook for?

What Sausage do you use and how long do you cook for?

Over 3 hours

I use to use Manda’s green onion sausage back home or my own Cajun sausage that I make. This was just some Alabama stuff they had at the store. I’m cooking handicapped over here. It usually comes out darker but I didn’t brown the sausage long enough.

Yup. I know some tasty food when I see it. You got that technique down. Throwing out crusty bits is a sin. Braising take time, you can't wait for it, go on down McDonalds they cook your food up real quick.

Question for you Southerners, though...them's stews n'at what we call winter food. What the heck yinz eat in the summertime? Are there any seasonal dishes in Louisiana or yinz just eat that warm hearty stuff year round?

Yup. I know some tasty food when I see it. You got that technique down. Throwing out crusty bits is a sin. Braising take time, you can't wait for it, go on down McDonalds they cook your food up real quick.

Question for you Southerners, though...them's stews n'at what we call winter food. What the heck yinz eat in the summertime? Are there any seasonal dishes in Louisiana or yinz just eat that warm hearty stuff year round?

The 1st cool front of the year, like when it gets in the 80s, Cajuns go crazy and fill Facebook up with pics of gumbo. I can eat it all year round. That’s like our winter food. Seasonal food is what’s in season. Crawfish run in spring and early summer, crabs summer, shrimp summer and fall, oysters fall and winter, frogs summer, fish all year, we eat what the land and laws provide at the time. Hotter weather we cooking outside, fried fish, bbq, seafood boils. Cold rainy days, more inside cooking, gumbo, soups and stews.

What the heck yinz eat in the summertime? Are there any seasonal dishes in Louisiana or yinz just eat that warm hearty stuff year round?

Every time you say yinz it reminds me of my wife's cousin. They live just outside of Picksberg in a town called Gibsonia. I always like going up there to visit it's a pretty cool place. Although I have to ship them up andouille before I go so I can cook for them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Every time you say yinz it reminds me of my wife's cousin. They live just outside of Picksberg in a town called Gibsonia. I always like going up there to visit it's a pretty cool place. Although I have to ship them up andouille before I go so I can cook for them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Nice! I grew up about 15 minutes from Gibsonia.

I pretty much just throw on the Pittsburghese accent when I feel like it, usually after I've tipped a few back. I don't always have it.

Looks amazing Swamp, thanks for the tutelage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back