• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sweet November is Here!!

I want to feel this excitement for November's arrival, but my experience thus far doesn't let me. Granted, I'm only on year six of this obsession, but I haven't seen many deer in November so far. I believe the total is five over five years, two of which were while driving.

I didn't start seeing deer until I took up archery in year three which for me means October. Since then I see about 20 deer per year, have several killing opportunities, and usually bring home some venison. I'm up to 27 this year with seven killing opportunities and two harvests.

Related to this trend is the fact that I rarely see bucks. My state (VT) is heavily pressured during the rut and many/most legal bucks are killed each year by the orange army. All I typically see is squirrels, other hunters, and cold feet! I have killed two 2.5 year old bucks in November but for one I was incredibly lucky. They are the only bucks I have ever seen in November and 40% of my total deer sightings. I sit all day, freeze, and fight boredom.

During October I see does, fawns and occasionally a spike. I don't always see deer when I sit but it is common enough that I'm disappointed when I don't. I sit one or two mornings but mostly evenings for 3ish hours. I'm generally comfortable/warm.

I know a lot of this discrepancy is due to my inexperience and lack of skills, as well as the difficulties presented by my state. That said, for now, there is no contest between the two months for me as far as excitement and anticipation goes. November's arrival feels like the end of the glorious hunting season.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back