• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Switched to a compound

wvfarrier

Aug 15, 2018
West (by GOD) Virginia
Well, i finally switched over from traditional gear to a compound. Ive been shooting an Obsession Def Con M7Z for about 3 weeks now and dang!!!! what a bow. (I already ordered a new FXL) It makes shots out to 50 yards seem like childs play. I can split shafts with it inside 25 yards at will (not that i make a habit of doing so). Its my first compound bow in my 35 years of archery and finally "i get it". I apologize to all i ragged on about using wheel bows. This one is 70# at 30" and clocks 323 with a my arrow set up (using 190 grain simmons treesharks).

Attachments

• 20190611_155119.jpg
    20190611_155119.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: Longbowwally

Close caller

Oct 21, 2018
I shot trad for awhile and loved it but when it comes to killing deer I want my compound. Is hard as it is to get a mature buck in shooting range on public land....I want the compound.

Enjoy

Reactions: Longbowwally

Longbowwally

SH Member
Jun 25, 2018
Piedmont, NC
I shot trad exclusively for about 20 years - killed a lot of deer, some hogs and a turkey with the trad bows. I love trad bows and like to say I'm trad at heart. I still kill a deer per year with them most years when my shoulders let me practice enough. But, since I've become very picky in my old age (lol) on what size bucks I shoot I've mainly hunted with the compound the last few seasons to maximize the few opportunities I get on them.....I've heard some guys, usually the ones that are fairly new to trad or have killed just a few deer with trad bows say they don't think anyone would go back to compounds after shooting trad....But I say 'been there done that' and now I'm enjoying the benefits of modern archery....The funny thing is of the 8 deer I've killed with my compound in 3 seasons, my average kill distance is still a little less than 20 yards....

ThumbsMcGee

Sep 22, 2018
I was in the same boat. Looking to get both my first trad & compound kills this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joel0711

Sep 9, 2017
east tennessee
Most fun--Recurve/longbows for sure. When it comes time to hunt it's Excalibur exocet. Harder to pack thru the woods but worth it when the shot comes.