• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tactacam Doe

I want one of those cameras! Which model is that? How far was she?

That’s the 5.0. She was probably no more than 5 yards from the base of the tree

That cam is mounted to the scope rail. I also have one mounted to the scope itself with the FTS attachment.

Damn

That was cool

I may need one of those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice!!

One of the many things I have overspent on this season is the tactacam 5.0 with FTS, Xbow underscope mount and head mount (going to share with my son so got the head mount).

I have not gotten it out in the field yet. Planning on Saturday evening. Just tested it with the head mount today. Well, having my son record himself jumping a ramp on his bicycle in the three different modes.

It looks like you used the xbow underscope mount. Did you use the app and WiFi connection to customize the settings on the camera for zoom, etc... or did you use one of the three pre-set modes?

How do you like the FTS (Film Through Scope) mount compared to the underscope rail mount? Especially in low light? And if using an illuminated reticle and/or illuminated nock?

I emailed tactacam support and could not get a definitive answer on whether the zoom is optical or digital (just computer algorithm) and if the image stabilization can be turned off / on and when it is on, when does the image stabilization (just computer algorithm) occur, and at what levels can the zoom be set at. Their support was less than useless/knowledgeable in this regard.

The app does not show the zoom option.

I plan on trying it at the range Sat. AM with my illuminated nocks in all three modes with underscope mount. I may try the FTS mount too. I did watch a YouTube that stated that you lose about 1 to 1.25 inches of eye relief with the FTS. Not happy with that, but I guess there needs to be room for the mirrors.

I am hoping to:

Get good footage of my shot (what is the arc of motion before, during and after follow through of shot). It seems that sometimes I am rushing my shot and I want a good diagnostic tool for this.

Get good footage of bolt flight and point of impact. This will help me assess my next actions for tracking. And I use illuminated nocks (fire nocks)

And finally, I would love to get some tracer rounds for one of the rifles and use the FTS and have my son shoot and have it recorded. That would be fun times!

Anyone with the TactaCam 5.0, I would love to hear your input.

Nice!!

One of the many things I have overspent on this season is the tactacam 5.0 with FTS, Xbow underscope mount and head mount (going to share with my son so got the head mount).

I have not gotten it out in the field yet. Planning on Saturday evening. Just tested it with the head mount today. Well, having my son record himself jumping a ramp on his bicycle in the three different modes.

It looks like you used the xbow underscope mount. Did you use the app and WiFi connection to customize the settings on the camera for zoom, etc... or did you use one of the three pre-set modes?

How do you like the FTS (Film Through Scope) mount compared to the underscope rail mount? Especially in low light? And if using an illuminated reticle and/or illuminated nock?

I emailed tactacam support and could not get a definitive answer on whether the zoom is optical or digital (just computer algorithm) and if the image stabilization can be turned off / on and when it is on, when does the image stabilization (just computer algorithm) occur, and at what levels can the zoom be set at. Their support was less than useless/knowledgeable in this regard.

The app does not show the zoom option.

I plan on trying it at the range Sat. AM with my illuminated nocks in all three modes with underscope mount. I may try the FTS mount too. I did watch a YouTube that stated that you lose about 1 to 1.25 inches of eye relief with the FTS. Not happy with that, but I guess there needs to be room for the mirrors.

I am hoping to:

Get good footage of my shot (what is the arc of motion before, during and after follow through of shot). It seems that sometimes I am rushing my shot and I want a good diagnostic tool for this.

Get good footage of bolt flight and point of impact. This will help me assess my next actions for tracking. And I use illuminated nocks (fire nocks)

And finally, I would love to get some tracer rounds for one of the rifles and use the FTS and have my son shoot and have it recorded. That would be fun times!

Anyone with the TactaCam 5.0, I would love to hear your input.

Thank you for the response. I’ll try to answer your questions as much as I can. I’ve played around with the setup quite a bit this summer.

First off, i do use the WiFi/app quite a bit. The camera mounted on the rail is set on 8x zoom. I believe you can adjust the zoom any way you want with the app. Just can’t get anymore than 8x. Also, you’ll want to mirror the camera with your phone to make sure you camera is properly centered so not to get a off center video.

Im currently running two cameras. One I’m with the FTS and the other on the rail. You can send me your phone number in a private message and I can send you the FTS video I have for that doe kill.

FTS doesn’t seem to effect visibility in low light, atleast to me. I’m not using illuminated nicks currently, but the scope does have an illuminated reticle. Everything recorded with the FTS will look exactly like what you see while making the shot. The better optics you have, the better quality video.

One thing you didn’t ask was adjusting the eye relief on the scope to get the FTS/Camera into focus. I had to adjust mine a few times to get the right clarity. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Thank you for the response. I’ll try to answer your questions as much as I can. I’ve played around with the setup quite a bit this summer.

First off, i do use the WiFi/app quite a bit. The camera mounted on the rail is set on 8x zoom. I believe you can adjust the zoom any way you want with the app. Just can’t get anymore than 8x. Also, you’ll want to mirror the camera with your phone to make sure you camera is properly centered so not to get a off center video.

Im currently running two cameras. One I’m with the FTS and the other on the rail. You can send me your phone number in a private message and I can send you the FTS video I have for that doe kill.

FTS doesn’t seem to effect visibility in low light, atleast to me. I’m not using illuminated nicks currently, but the scope does have an illuminated reticle. Everything recorded with the FTS will look exactly like what you see while making the shot. The better optics you have, the better quality video.

One thing you didn’t ask was adjusting the eye relief on the scope to get the FTS/Camera into focus. I had to adjust mine a few times to get the right clarity. Hope this helps

Awesome! Thanks for the information. I am going to play around with it some tomorrow. Probably won’t have it totally dialed in yet, but good enough for a hunt. And I may hold off on the FTS for this hunt. That, or buy another tactacam

Again, thanks. I hope to be able to put up some videos during the season. Sending cell # through pm for video. Thx.

That’s the 5.0. She was probably no more than 5 yards from the base of the tree

That cam is mounted to the scope rail. I also have one mounted to the scope itself with the FTS attachment.

How do you like the FTS? I got mine in the mail the other day but have not had a chance to play with it yet.

After all these years telling my wife not to get anything for me for Xmas, yesterday I told her exactly what I want. . . Tactacam 5.0!!

Back