• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Takedown survival bows?

SNIPERBBB

Anyone got any experience with these bows and how to tune them/or the arrows? I've got a gearscope I've been practicing with but getting arrows to fly straight is a pain. Arrows that came with it werent straight so had to get some new ones.

i have a 3 piece sammik sage recurve. dirt cheap but i've killed deer w it and it is SO fun to shoot. could that be considered a take down survival bow? it is 62" so maybe too long?

not exactly sure what the "requirements" are to be considered survival

Not sure what differentiates a takedown survival bow from a conventional takedown recurve? Any bow you use to ensure your survival would be a survival bow.

I'm kinda of two minds. A lot of this "survival" stuff is meant to be buried in a drawer or tote or behind the seat of the truck until SHTF, at which point you dig it out, assemble it, deploy it, and use it proficiently, without having touched it in months/years/decades. Like these 'paracord survival bracelets' with instructions on how to use the guts to snare game. As if the guts of your bracelet won't stink like every hand soap you've used since strapping it on your wrist, and scare off the rabbits you want to eat.

But I digress. I've got a Ragim Impala which is essentially a Samick Sage. These are cheap takedown recurves that also happen to be excellent, if somewhat unattractive, practical hunting bows. Buy one, build/assemble/spec out a brace of arrows, practice with your setup, hunt with it, all that good stuff, and when you're not using them they can live behind the seat of your truck.

I'm not familiar with Gearscope. 40# might be legal to hunt with in your state, IIRC it's the bare minimum in MN. I don't know if they're well-made; that it came with crooked arrows does not inspire confidence. I would take it to an archery shop that deals in trad, or maybe league night at the archery club, and have someone who knows recurves take a look at it and see if it has potential. If not, cut your losses. If so, shoot with what you've got until your form and release are sorted out, at which point you can tune a set of arrows.

Back