• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Taking a bite

The_Fit_Ness_Monster

Anyone else take a bite out of the heart right after the kill? I’m not the only person I know that does this but not everyone I know does this. I’m not even quite sure where I got it from but every deer I kill I immediately after gutting grab the heart and take a bite, always have.

Oh yeah 100%, I’ve done it before cleaning a deer in a campground with other people who have killed, shouted out ill trade backstrap for heart and got 1 heart per side lol hell I’d take the neck roast over backstrap also.

What other ingredients?
Oh no you don't! Find your own Old One to make a deal with.

Seriously, I like heart. I'll snack on raw venison as I trim sometimes. I make the occasional tatare or cannibal sammich. And I love slicing a raw, dry aged backstrap really thin and eating it with a little good soy sauce like sashimi. But eating a raw heart just would feel cringey to me.

Never raw, but unless there's too much bullet damage I sauté the heart and tenderloins in butter and red wine with mushrooms and onions. Serve over buttered noodles or mashed potatoes.

Family tradition for everyones first deer kill, dating back who knows how long. Still do it from time to time with someone on their first. Can't say I do it every time though.

It was a native American tradition passed on to the white man

It was a native American tradition passed on to the white man
Are u sure? How do we know that?

I find it pretty hard to believe that from the beginning of humans killing stuff, only the Asian peeps that crossed a land bridge onto another continent adopted the tradition

Not sure of anything my man. Read it in a article once. Old issue of Game & Fish, Probably BS

"Eating the heart out of a freshly killed animal was tradition among some Native Americans. By doing so, Indians believed they could receive all the qualities of the animal – bravery, strength and agility."

I find it pretty hard to believe that from the beginning of humans killing stuff, only the Asian peeps that crossed a land bridge onto another continent adopted the tradition

Oops

Back