• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Talk about bad luck!

John Eberhart

Vendor Rep
I finally saw what I think was a shooter buck after 6 outings. Last evening I was entering through a standing cornfield (pictured below - had made a path through corn earlier by tipping stalks 45 degrees so the farmer wouldn't lose the corn) to a red oak along its back side and as soon as I cleared the corn a descent buck jumped up from the cover about 25 yards behind it and crossed the river into a bigger bedding area. When I was under the tree I saw why. He had made a fresh scrape and was staged downwind of it.

That wasn't the bad part. On my way home I drove over something and it flew up under my van and ripped a 4 inch gash in my gas tank. I had just filled up with gas and it was gushing out. I barely made it 10 miles to the local auto shop where I ran out of gas and where it sits right now. I unloaded what I could into my daughters SUV and left the rest. Worst part now is that everything in the back of my van that wasn't in air tight totes smells like gas including my boots.

No vehicle and have no clue how long yet to get a Toyota tank from a non Toyota shop.

Timing is everything and this isn't the time for this to happen. PA161567 - Copy.JPG

Redundant backup bows and boots but no backup mini-van?? I expected more from you John.:sunglasses:

Sorry to hear about your luck. Come grab my 2000 Ford Expedition if you need it for a week. I'm in SE Michigan.

Redundant backup bows and boots but no backup mini-van?? I expected more from you John.:sunglasses:

Sorry to hear about your luck. Come grab my 2000 Ford Expedition if you need it for a week. I'm in SE Michigan.

That's a great reply Dan and if things don't work out, you may be getting a reply for the Expedition.

Unfortunately I can't afford a back up van. Still waiting to see how long it will be and have a 10 am interview this morning with Mike Avery whom I'm sure you know being from Michigan.

sometimes when it rains it pours. sorry for your stroke of bad luck!

Give me the coordinates of the scrap and I'll keep an eye on it until you get your wheels back.:cool:
I had the same thing happen while on a family vacation in Nebraska a few years ago. The garage man tried to first locate a fuel tank from a local salvage yard thinking it would be the quickest and cheapest route. When that didn't work out he had to order one which cost us an additional day. He was great and gave our family the use of his Suburban for the two days we were down in Lincoln. At least there was a Cabala's in town....:rolleyes:

Man that story had me all revd up for a great outcome and then turned to suck quick. I hope it all turns out smoothly and you can get back on that buck. Dragging him off will make this mishap a little more palatable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like the deer watched the killer soccer mom minivan guy video and trying to take him out during primetime hoping they can smell gas coming from a tree how are you going to get all the gas smell out of the van and equipment because I know about the scent control you take to the field for this hunting season?

Good luck hunting john if your coming to southern Ohio I got a van you can use

Oh man that sucks, I would seriously consider a rental to throw all of my stuff in and keep hunting, not sure how to deal with a gas smell like that, ozone machine?

Good luck John, hope you get back out in the woods and chase that buck down! If you end up in Northern VA you can borrow my 4runner, it's not quite as roomy as your van but I like it, you have a roof over your head while you are changing although I still need to get the front hitch so I can put the deer outside on the front and won't have to lift it all the way up into the back of the 4runner. I've been thinking about fabricating my own, lol.

I'm still in the "recovery phase" from my back surgery and still can't hunt, and it's driving me crazy, I know I need to heal and listen to the doctors b/c I definitely don't want to have to go through all of that again, but it's still very hard to not be putting meat in the freezer!

Yep that's a bad day -hope it gets rectified quickly it's beginning to be that time of year real quickly. I still have not seen a mature buck this season. With all the torrential rains in TX most of the deer have totally shifted to private lands which are higher ground.

I finally saw what I think was a shooter buck after 6 outings. Last evening I was entering through a standing cornfield (pictured below - had made a path through corn earlier by tipping stalks 45 degrees so the farmer wouldn't lose the corn) to a red oak along its back side and as soon as I cleared the corn a descent buck jumped up from the cover about 25 yards behind it and crossed the river into a bigger bedding area. When I was under the tree I saw why. He had made a fresh scrape and was staged downwind of it.

That wasn't the bad part. On my way home I drove over something and it flew up under my van and ripped a 4 inch gash in my gas tank. I had just filled up with gas and it was gushing out. I barely made it 10 miles to the local auto shop where I ran out of gas and where it sits right now. I unloaded what I could into my daughters SUV and left the rest. Worst part now is that everything in the back of my van that wasn't in air tight totes smells like gas including my boots.

No vehicle and have no clue how long yet to get a Toyota tank from a non Toyota shop.

Timing is everything and this isn't the time for this to happen. View attachment 7263
Man I hate that for you! At least you're okay and can still hunt if you get wheels!

That sucks! The story could have been worse. It could have been the buck you jumped that you ran over and his antlers gashed a hole in your tank.

That would have definitely been worse.

Might get her back tomorrow. Stopped by to get some stuff out of it and it reeks of gas.

That would have definitely been worse.

Might get her back tomorrow. Stopped by to get some stuff out of it and it reeks of gas.

I used my ozone generator when I spilled gas in my yard and it came through some drainage in my basement - AFTER the fire department cleared me to. It worked really well so this is a time I might suggest it for you once you get your van back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd use baking soda and lots of it. Vacuum it back out after a few days.

Back