• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tall/Long Torso pack thread!

BlackpowderGuy (AJHS)

SH Member
Hi all - I am hoping we can start a sub-thread of the pack thread for guys with long torso’s…I am only 5’10 but have a 22” torso, meaning I have shorter legs {29 inch inseam} and a longer upper body. Most “one size fits all” packs do not fit right…no big deal on a short hike just carrying a sweater and a water bladder, a pretty big deal when carrying 25-30 pound saddle/platform/sticks and stuff set up.

I am looking for guys like me to share information about packs that work. I have the Eberlestock F1 and Mystery Ranch Pop-Up 38, both of which have an adjustable yoke {where the straps connect to the pack}.

I called Trophyline today, and their packs are meant for torsos 16-19 inches. So that rules them out.

Long torso folks, what packs work for you?

21” torso checking in. I ran a Horn Hunter G2 for the longest time, loved it. Only switched cause I was going a more compact route. It’s not the longest pack, can’t recall the back length but it rode like a larger pack.

21” torso checking in. I ran a Horn Hunter G2 for the longest time, loved it. Only switched cause I was going a more compact route. It’s not the longest pack, can’t recall the back length but it rode like a larger pack.
So what are you using now?

Your probably going to be limited to packs with an adjustable yoke. Which are usually higher end packs. What don't you like about the two packs you have that fit?

Your probably going to be limited to packs with an adjustable yoke. Which are usually higher end packs. What don't you like about the two packs you have that fit?
Actually, I do like the Eberlestock...it carries everything well...but I end up need a smaller "daypack" type bag in order to hold the things that I need up in the tree with me, and then I hide the frame at the bottom. It would OK. I have the vapor 2500 for it, but it is basically a duffel bag, so not very useful up in the tree because not much accessible storage. That is ok, I have a cheapier 10 liter or so bag that carries most of what I need in the tree in early season and in late season I can strap my bib and parka to the frame because I walk in light due to sweating even in very cold temps. The pop up 38 I struggle to like. I want to like it, but it does not actually have a great set of strapping options. The mainframe has three straps across the middle that I can configue any way that makes sense. The 38 less so. I wish I'd bought the 28, but they discontinued it.

Actually, I do like the Eberlestock...it carries everything well...but I end up need a smaller "daypack" type bag in order to hold the things that I need up in the tree with me, and then I hide the frame at the bottom. It would OK. I have the vapor 2500 for it, but it is basically a duffel bag, so not very useful up in the tree because not much accessible storage. That is ok, I have a cheapier 10 liter or so bag that carries most of what I need in the tree in early season and in late season I can strap my bib and parka to the frame because I walk in light due to sweating even in very cold temps. The pop up 38 I struggle to like. I want to like it, but it does not actually have a great set of strapping options. The mainframe has three straps across the middle that I can configue any way that makes sense. The 38 less so. I wish I'd bought the 28, but they discontinued it.

These may help with your MR 38. https://www.mysteryranch.com/autolock-quick-attach-accessory-strap?quantity=1&color=Foliage

I have a set for my 28. You can hook them on each side with the existing buckles and then have two independent straps across the front to strap down a platform, sticks, coat, etc.

you can actually run them through those little tabs above and below those buckles

Funny. When I posted the pic above my first thought was "Does mine have those extra tabs, and why didn't I use them?" I bet it does but, I can't say I noticed them before I just connected them to the same tab as the buckle. Been running it like that for two years.

Edit: I am changing my story to I did it because using the buckles tab makes a connection to the frame with the other strap. (I have no idea if that actually makes a difference)

Funny. When I posted the pic above my first thought was "Does mine have those extra tabs, and why didn't I use them?" I bet it does but, I can't say I noticed them before I just connected them to the same tab as the buckle. Been running it like that for two years.

Edit: I am changing my story to I did it because using the buckles tab makes a connection to the frame with the other strap. (I have no idea if that actually makes a difference)
Ah, cool! So you can use one set of straps for sticks and one for the platform or whatever. I get it.

Have you considered the multipack lid to pair with the f1 for carrying just what you need up the tree with you?

Back