• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tanto Tip Support Group

_Dario

SH Member
Alright I am using Iron Will SB 150gn broad heads this year. I really love them. The steel is undeniably hard to sharpen but I have been having success with the Stay Sharp guide/diamond stones/buffing compound on cardboard.

I really dislike having to maintain these tanto tips. I dedicated one BH to practice and learning how to sharpen them. I eventually played around with getting rid of the tanto tip on this one BH (Pictured left).

Has anyone else done this with their own tanto tipped BH’s. Any issues? Keep the tanto?

2ef8dff5cdf38747753dfd7de68b3306.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would agree with MattMan81. IronWill Bill is crazy smart with his broadhead engineering. There's a reason the tanto tips are on there. Take them away if you want, but if you end up have structural integrity or other performance issues I don't think you'll have any recourse other than blaming yourself.

Using a caliper, I put the heads into the guide precisely, but I agree that is a potential issue.

I thought the tanto tip was purely to strengthen the tip at impact - the single bevel being responsible for rotation (‘bone splitting’). The steel is so hard on these heads I wonder if it would make a measurable difference for hunting whitetails.

Anyway, those are valid points. I am not hell bent on grinding out the tanto it’s just such a pain to sharpen, particularly that weird left over piece that you need to freehand.

Just checking to see if anyone else was doing it. Thanks for the input guys!

I use a set of these to touch up the tips of my broadheads. They make the tight work a little less of a PIA. Work great on the inside corner of a Helix broadhead too.
hone set.jpg

Vpa looks a lot like that tip. I wouldn’t see a problem with it.

I believe removing the tip takes away from it's bone spliting abilities from what the ol RF said.
I thought I seen a RF video and he talks about not worrying "as much" about getting the tanto tip as sharp as the rest of the head.
Edit: Hate to burst your bubble...if you care what the RF says anyway

I have the same exact sharpening method as you, have you had any luck sharpening the bleeders? it would be nice if Iron Will sold the bleeder inserts separately in a pack of 3. I haven't found any success in sharpening them.

I have the same exact sharpening method as you, have you had any luck sharpening the bleeders? it would be nice if Iron Will sold the bleeder inserts separately in a pack of 3. I haven't found any success in sharpening them.
They do ..... I have bought them a few times for swapping wides , solids , single bev.

Back