• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Target backstop

Bigfoot522

Instead of going to a shoot I stayed home and built my backstop.
It is a 4x6 stall mat 3/4” thick which hangs in front of plywood.
The bottom of mat moves so arrow will push the mat before penetrating.
I can stand a deer or bear but mostly it will just be my black hole blocks.
Needs primer and paint.

Attachments

• IMG_1373.png
    IMG_1373.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1372.png
    IMG_1372.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1374.png
    IMG_1374.png
    829.6 KB · Views: 42
I use the same mat for a backstop. Works great for field points. I have had a broadhead pass through completely on a small diameter arrow. I don't have wood behind mine though.

Eat your Wheaties before trying to pull arrows out of that thing though lol.

BT

Pro tip: No backstop needed if you don’t ever miss lol

This is true! Lol

My mishap with the broadhead was due to working on broadhead tuning and something was WAY out of whack either with my tune or those particular heads. Field points were stacking but that head went 12" to the right and completely missed my block target.

BT

This is true! Lol

My mishap with the broadhead was due to working on broadhead tuning and something was WAY out of whack either with my tune or those particular heads. Field points were stacking but that head went 12" to the right and completely missed my block target.

BT
That’s crazy, Of all the broadhead I’ve ever shot G5 montecs were the only ones ever I screwed on and didn’t fly right and I got rid of them, I don’t understand this broadhead tuning thing I’ve never seen a need to do it.

That’s crazy, Of all the broadhead I’ve ever shot G5 montecs were the only ones ever I screwed on and didn’t fly right and I got rid of them, I don’t understand this broadhead tuning thing I’ve never seen a need to do it.

These were either some cheap NAP thunderheads that wouldn't spin true, or some el cheapo ebay 2 blades I got just to try out. I can't remember which.

The main purpose for me broadhead tuning is to make sure my broadheads are hitting the same spot as my field points to a) make sure they're flying correctly and b) to make sure I have the same point of impact so I can practice with fieldpoints all during off season and know that my broadheads are going to hit the same spot.

I suck at sharpening lol

BT

These were either some cheap NAP thunderheads that wouldn't spin true, or some el cheapo ebay 2 blades I got just to try out. I can't remember which.

The main purpose for me broadhead tuning is to make sure my broadheads are hitting the same spot as my field points to a) make sure they're flying correctly and b) to make sure I have the same point of impact so I can practice with fieldpoints all during off season and know that my broadheads are going to hit the same spot.

I suck at sharpening lol

BT
Ahhh yeah that’ll do it. And I get that tuning it will make it fly better. The montecs were the only broadheads I’ve ever shot that didn’t fly right just from screwing on, if I have to screw a BH on then go to tweaking things to make I fly right that’s wrong on so many levels. That would be like buying a new vehicle and then having to bring it to get alligned, yes, I’m sure it happens, I’m saying it’s unacceptable that it does.

Ahhh yeah that’ll do it. And I get that tuning it will make it fly better. The montecs were the only broadheads I’ve ever shot that didn’t fly right just from screwing on, if I have to screw a BH on then go to tweaking things to make I fly right that’s wrong on so many levels. That would be like buying a new vehicle and then having to bring it to get alligned, yes, I’m sure it happens, I’m saying it’s unacceptable that it does.
Just my experience but 2 things for sure can come into play, speed of the arrow and tune of the bow. The better the bow is tuned the easier it is to get most any head to fly right straight out of the package. Arrow speed though can complicate that with fixed heads if the speed starts getting above 280-285 and esp if it is pushing 300. Even with a well tuned bow, flight with some heads can be an issue. Like you though I have only ever had one head that didnt fly right with my compound. Couldnt get the old original snuffers to fly right but back then I prolly had some unknown tune issues too.

Back