• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Target Panic

Madgrad02

SH Member
So I don't know what has changed, but so far in my practice I have developed some severe target panic... having a hard time getting the pin over the target, wants to just hover and lock below the target like there is a 100lb weight on my stabilizer and I can't lift it up... eventually leading to some drive-by punching. I have gone over the interwebs for articles and videos and such for ways to cure it. Anyone else out there have these issues they have worked through? I know most of them revolve around time/practice - heard some recommendations of not shooting an arrow for a month, just draw and let down, blind baling, etc.
I get all these, however, with a wife that is a nurse and works weekends at the hospital, a 3 and a 5 year old that barely let me go to the bathroom, let alone time to practice for an hour or more, a few acres of land that EAB has decimated so have spent the majority of spring cutting/chopping trees, etc., extra time is unfortunately not something I have in great quantity as of late... anyone else have any tips/tricks for working through these issues that doesn't involve needing a clone of myself?
I have gone from my index back to a Carter thumb release, but still not where I would like to be (and have been in the past).

How tall are you?

What’s your draw weight?

What’s your wing span fingertip to fingertip measured while standing, with your arms straight out?

You got a basement? Feed the kids, nap, tv whatever for a few minutes and do some blind bailing in the basement. Do some draw holds and let downs too. Just get in some practice when you can. I got some tp after I blew my shoulder out and hadn’t shot for a year. Blind bailing and holds and let downs helped a lot. Retraining your brain that you don’t have to shoot and you can shoot when you feel like it, your brain is in charge is a great feeling.

I had the same issue and I’ll tell you what helped me. Don’t shoot your bow for a month. Seriously. I know it’s time to be practicing, but do not touch that bow for 30 days.

Then when you pick it up make sure you do everything correct. Proper form everything and let the pin float. Sometimes we just need to reset

Yeah, I made a shot-trainer (out of a piece of PVC and some paracord and d-loop) and such like that as well that I use while kids are watching TV, but again, they just want to play with what daddy has... maybe I need to make some mini ones for the kids...
I would like to do something in the basement or garage, but not sure if the Mrs will appreciate that or understand shooting my bow indoors!

How do you get kids to nap, maybe that is the question I should be asking instead of how to cure target panic! Bet that would alleviate a lot of problems if I just got a break! :tonguewink:

Would highly recommend Joel Turner/ShotIQ. Either is online course or one of his seminars. Have done both and am finally rounding the corner on having complete control over my shot process. No one else covers the mental side of shooting like he does. If you can't do either of thr courses he has been a guest on several podcasts and gives away most of is info for free - he does hold back a few things

Also, Levi Morgan has a great series on TP on his YouTube channel and just got done with a 4 week series about it on his podcast - On The Line

Drawing and letting down without shooting works pretty well but the only "cure" I had was switching to a thumb release (yep, has absolutely nothing to do with where the pin is but it worked better than anything else).

I have a 6 y/o, 4 y/o, and a newborn. So I feel your pain. Can't hardly take a dump without someone coming to find me. If I lock the door, they start sliding things under it lol. I joined a local sportsmen's club for like $70 a year to get some range time uninterrupted. They have a little 3D course and indoor range too open late so I help my wife put them to bed, and occasionally head over there for a 1/2 hour. Not sure if it is an option for you, but something to consider. I have also just taken a target and stopped at a friends farm on the way home from work so I don't have to worry about the little rascals running around while I'm trying to focus.

Yeah, I made a shot-trainer (out of a piece of PVC and some paracord and d-loop) and such like that as well that I use while kids are watching TV, but again, they just want to play with what daddy has... maybe I need to make some mini ones for the kids...
I would like to do something in the basement or garage, but not sure if the Mrs will appreciate that or understand shooting my bow indoors!

How do you get kids to nap, maybe that is the question I should be asking instead of how to cure target panic! Bet that would alleviate a lot of problems if I just got a break! :tonguewink:
Gotta wear em out.
Shooting in the basement/garage ain’t too bad considering you’re only going to be standing like 2 feet away from your target.

Watch "School of Nock Season 3: #1, Defining, Understanding, and Overcoming Target Panic" on YouTube

So I don't know what has changed, but so far in my practice I have developed some severe target panic... having a hard time getting the pin over the target, wants to just hover and lock below the target like there is a 100lb weight on my stabilizer and I can't lift it up... eventually leading to some drive-by punching. I have gone over the interwebs for articles and videos and such for ways to cure it. Anyone else out there have these issues they have worked through? I know most of them revolve around time/practice - heard some recommendations of not shooting an arrow for a month, just draw and let down, blind baling, etc.
I get all these, however, with a wife that is a nurse and works weekends at the hospital, a 3 and a 5 year old that barely let me go to the bathroom, let alone time to practice for an hour or more, a few acres of land that EAB has decimated so have spent the majority of spring cutting/chopping trees, etc., extra time is unfortunately not something I have in great quantity as of late... anyone else have any tips/tricks for working through these issues that doesn't involve needing a clone of myself?
I have gone from my index back to a Carter thumb release, but still not where I would like to be (and have been in the past).

If you had to guess, how many shots have you ever fired out of a bow? 100? 1000? 10000?

How tall are you?

What's the draw length of your bow? Not just what it says on a limb, but measured?

Have you had your draw length measured at a pro shop?

What draw weight range is the bow? what do you have it set at? How many shots have you fired at that weight?

Some great archery coaches have suggested that being engrossed in aiming and having developed a shot process (subconscious) to let the shot happen. Sights induce t.p. and blind bailing can be beneficial. When you are developing your shot engine work on one aspect at a time and the last thing is to add the sights. We can get into our own heads pretty easily. Get away from a target face ,get some Judo points and go do some roving . This is where shooting a stick bow can bring back the joy of archery because many times by trying to make archery easier we have introduced alot of frustration.

Definitely not my first year when it comes to shooting a bow. Obviously practice time has trailed off in recent years, but used to shoot 3d and such more when I was able to make it to/member at the local sportsman's club, and currently live on a few acres in the country, so practice when I can. If I had to put a number there, I'd guess 8-10k shots.
I'm 6'2" and have 30.5" draw. 30" mods with some twists taken out, and yes, was measured on more than one occasion.

Halon 6 with 70lb limbs... was around 67, but already took 3/4 turn out of both limbs (unsure what that works out to in decreased draw weight, but definitely can feel decrease). Sort of my usual off-season regimine... Generally start out lower weight and crank back up as summer progresses/season approaches.

Have both a trufire hardcore (index) and carter wise choice (3 finger). Gave the thumb release a try a year or so ago (Scott sigma) and sold that to another member on here.. figured I'd try the thumb again when I got a deal on the wise choice.

my cure is to shoot a resistance activated release, they are easier to learn and harder to do wrong than a hinge or thumb button shot with back tension, there is more setup though and they are more complicated/expensive

they come in index wrist strap (nock on backstrap) and several handheld versions (by carter and others)

i just shoot it most of the time and only switch to my regular release for hunting and a little practice before season (and tune and sight in check)

the first time you shoot one of these, most people find the experience odd and almost scary, but if you stick with it i bet you'll like it

What is the mindset of practicing with stuff that u don't use during hunting season or having the bow at a different poundage during off season?

What is the mindset of practicing with stuff that u don't use during hunting season or having the bow at a different poundage during off season?
I'm getting older, and after a month or so of not shooting much in winter (if a get any free time, I'm usually out on the ice in the winter) my shoulders appreciate the buildup first. Everything else is the same. I like shooting thumb (hence both releases), but only reason I haven't stuck with thumb release is that inkling in the back of my head that when I need it, it will be dropped at base of tree or lost somewhere on the walk in if not strapped to my wrist.

so long as you set up the training release to have the same anchor/feel as your hunting one (this takes some careful choices and some adjustment), then the skill is totally tranferable

i can practice for 1 week with the resistance release, and it will make me a better shot with the regular release (if i go back to it on day 8) than if i had practiced all week with the regular release instead

once you have shot for long enough, then archery is almost all mental, how well i shoot on a day is totally dependent upon my level of mental clarity and control.....i've grooved my shot into muscle memory by shooting from age 5 to 45

edit: in fact, practicing a lot with a punch-able release can make you a worse shot (messes my head up) and people don't usually get target panic until after they get pretty good (while you are new and have more physical things to focus on with the bow, then for me at least it kept the mental target panic demon at bay.....it only crept out once i had shot for years and wanted to keep getting better and better)

so long as you set up the training release to have the same anchor/feel as your hunting one (this takes some careful choices and some adjustment), then the skill is totally tranferable

i can practice for 1 week with the resistance release, and it will make me a better shot with the regular release (if i go back to it on day 8) than if i had practiced all week with the regular release instead

once you have shot for long enough, then archery is almost all mental, how well i shoot on a day is totally dependent upon my level of mental clarity and control.....i've grooved my shot into muscle memory by shooting from age 5 to 45
Yes, unfortunately I didn't pick up a bow or hunting till after my 30th birthday, so not something I've had a lifetime to engrain unfortunately.
Appreciate all the suggestions and advice thusfar. Thanks all.

Back