• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

TDT goes to Alaska 2023 edition

thedutchtouch

SH Member
Posting from the back of the boat on the second to last day I'm here, currently trolling for king salmon with two nice ones in the fish box. This has been an awesome week, my dad and I should each be bringing at least a hundred lbs of salmon and halibut home, the weather has been simply amazing, and I've had a great time catching up with my brother.

Screenshot_20230714-120950.pngScreenshot_20230714-121000.pngScreenshot_20230714-121020.pngScreenshot_20230714-121042.pngScreenshot_20230714-121107.pngScreenshot_20230714-121139.png

Looks like an amazing trip. I was lucky to go to AK a few years ago. I regret not making time to fish a bit. It may have been a hard sale to the wife after a 14 day moose hunt but I should have made time.

it was a great trip. we got EXTREMELY lucky with weather- it rained for about a half hour on the day we left, but clear skies and barely any wind the rest of the week - my brother and the other residents were complaining about a heat wave. only downside was i didnt get a chance to test out the impertechs much for september other than to realize they dont breathe much at all, so i'm back to looking into expensive rain gear in the (likely pointless) hopes i dont sweat my arse off when climbing into the alpine this september.

all in all my dad and i each took home two boxes of fish - roughly 100 lbs each of filleted king salmon and halibut (100% of which i filleted/packaged, so definitely got my practice in there), and i took home 6 gallon ziplocs of dungeness crab halves as well, so we'll be eating good for a while. i had some blackened halibut with my girls last night and am already enjoying the memories with each bite.

@Camelcluch i'd love to hear about yor moose hunt (if i havent already read about it on the slide), my brother and i are in the beginning stages of planning a 2024/2025 float trip for moose, he may only stay up there another year or two so we're trying to jump on it while he's still a resident.

I'll report back in september when i go on the sitka blacktail deer/possibly brown bear hunt as well.

Last edited:
Posting from the back of the boat on the second to last day I'm here, currently trolling for king salmon with two nice ones in the fish box. This has been an awesome week, my dad and I should each be bringing at least a hundred lbs of salmon and halibut home, the weather has been simply amazing, and I've had a great time catching up with my brother.

View attachment 87323View attachment 87324View attachment 87325View attachment 87326View attachment 87327View attachment 87328
Dang ya,ll look alike.

I'm at the airport having a beer and waiting to board. Not sure how much internet access I'll have this week, and weather is changing our hunt plans potentially because of high winds/waves making boat access difficult but it'll be an adventure regardless. I just hope my bag and rifle case get through security unscathed and the flights are smooth at this point, the rest we can figure out day to day. Will update the thread upon my return regardless, but hopefully with a grip and grin. We shall see.

Monday update- high winds/waves has kept the boat on the trailer and low ceilings (mountains are all fogged out and nobody is flying) have kept us in Juneau so far. We're re-evaluating and hope to go after deer, black or brown bear or maybe even a moose in the next few days depending on the weather shifting here. I've been enjoying hanging out with my brother but we are both itching to get hunting so fingers crossed.

Back