• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

TEAM 10 Discussion Thread

Bama_Xander

I didn't see a thread yet for the best team out there, so I got this one started. Looking forward to a great season!

I grew up in KY but have lived in BAMA for the past 13 years. This will be my first year in the saddle, but I have been a mobile hunter for a long time. I did the climber stand since high school and then got a Lone Wolf system last year. It really opened my mind to even more mobility, cover and picking any tree. I went down the saddle rabbit hole back in March. I sold all my climbers and I plan on only using my saddle this year and keeping the LW for friends I take on Public. I mainly bow hunt but every now and then I'll pull out the old boom boom stick. I hunt mostly public with a few small private permissions properties. I have some Doe Patrol on a couple of properties so I definitely plan on submitting two does. Hoping for a buck at some point in the season. We get three in Bama so I'm not afraid to shoot a smaller one for the cause. I also got a kayak this year so with the addition of the saddle and creative water access I am hoping to get on a good public land buck. I have got in a lot of good scouting and have some great options available. Looking forward to a great season of learning and hunting!

I'm old, cant see, have bad knees and shoulders but manage to take a few here and there. Been at this a while ;)

Let's get'em boys. Couldn't register deer the last time cause I wasn't in the saddle when I killed them.

New year. Good card pull today.
7d3804e2fc9291aa296f685989df69b9.jpg
ba99bcce8670e8fbea83669bbf892332.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This is my 11th season hunting with a saddle. I’ve been tweaking my system the whole time - trying different climbing methods, saddles, packs, etc. That’s the way it is with a lot of saddle guys - always trying to think of how to make your system better, lighter, safer, more compact, etc.

I am mainly a meat hunter, I admit. Living in Maine with low deer densities and a poor buck-to-doe ratio doesn’t help. I feel like no matter how far I’ve come, I’m still learning. And I enjoy watching and picking up tidbits from the Benoits, Hal Blood, the Hunting Beast and the THP guys.

Got one doe in the freezer on Friday which scored 5 points for team 10. Hope to put some more points up for the team soon!

This is my 11th season hunting with a saddle. I’ve been tweaking my system the whole time - trying different climbing methods, saddles, packs, etc. That’s the way it is with a lot of saddle guys - always trying to think of how to make your system better, lighter, safer, more compact, etc.

I am mainly a meat hunter, I admit. Living in Maine with low deer densities and a poor buck-to-doe ratio doesn’t help. I feel like no matter how far I’ve come, I’m still learning. And I enjoy watching and picking up tidbits from the Benoits, Hal Blood, the Hunting Beast and the THP guys.

Got one doe in the freezer on Friday which scored 5 points for team 10. Hope to put some more points up for the team soon!

As with most the guys that end up at the saddle, I love the tweaking too. I was tweaking with the climber and hang and hunt. It's been a blast tinkering and DIY-ing getting ready for the first saddle season. I know I am the newb for this team but I will try to make you proud and pull my weight :cool:

It is nice to have a place to discuss saddle hunting and keep up with other saddle hunters. All my hunting buddies still give me funny looks and think I am crazy for starting to hunt this way.

As with most the guys that end up at the saddle, I love the tweaking too. I was tweaking with the climber and hang and hunt. It's been a blast tinkering and DIY-ing getting ready for the first saddle season. I know I am the newb for this team but I will try to make you proud and pull my weight :cool:

It is nice to have a place to discuss saddle hunting and keep up with other saddle hunters. All my hunting buddies still give me funny looks and think I am crazy for starting to hunt this way.

At the rate saddle hunting is exploding, your buddies will be joining you soon!

Hey guys, this is Chris. This is my second year saddle hunting, I use a RC/fleece saddle combo, along with Primal V Steps for climbing and platform.
I lived in Monroe, Michigan my whole life, and me and my wife raised our three adult children there. We decided to start over a few years back, and adopted two sets of siblings. After much discussion and prayer, we decided we wanted a fresh start with our youngsters, and this past June we bought a house and 25 acres in Kentucky, right in the Daniel Boone National Forest. We got ourselves a little farm going, with goats and chickens, and lots of space for the kids to yell and burn energy!
I killed my one and only deer two seasons ago, and shortly after found the Hunting Beast, and totally changed up my hunting strategy. That led to no opportunity last season, but I did find some really good beds... Problem is, they're all in Michigan! Kentucky is a whole different ball game for me, having left marsh, hardwoods and ag fields, for steep hill terrain. I'm not sure what this season will hold for me, but I am hoping to put down a couple of does here on our property (seen a few so far), and will be trying my best to get on a buck later on in the season.
Really looking forward to being on this team with you guys, and hope to contribute.

Southern Wisconsin. First year in the saddle for me and have only been bow hunting a few years. Only hunting public. Actually first sit was tonight in the saddle. Had a doe and a fawn come to the base of the tree. Fawn still had spots. I’m a softy I guess.

Plenty of season left so let’s get after it!

And then this happened this evening, 2 years in a row bow problem right at start of season. 2 new strings enroute20190915_204610.jpg

Southern Wisconsin. First year in the saddle for me and have only been bow hunting a few years. Only hunting public. Actually first sit was tonight in the saddle. Had a doe and a fawn come to the base of the tree. Fawn still had spots. I’m a softy I guess.

Plenty of season left so let’s get after it!

My first sit won’t be until Oct 15 with the Bama bow opener, stinks but we start pretty late. But I do get to hunt till mid February here. I have a trip planned to go to IL just to shoot does on a buddies farm Oct 17-20. Objective is to drop 4-6 does for him. His farm is covered up in deer.

My first sit won’t be until Oct 15 with the Bama bow opener, stinks but we start pretty late. But I do get to hunt till mid February here. I have a trip planned to go to IL just to shoot does on a buddies farm Oct 17-20. Objective is to drop 4-6 does for him. His farm is covered up in deer.
Nice! Those are good friends to have. I plan on dropping as many does as I can this year. Freezer doesn’t know the difference between bucks and does.

Hey guys glad to join the fight! I can’t wait to get started but I’ve made the decision to delay my start until we get some cooler weather down here in south east Texas. I just about killed myself last Oct scouting out and climbing trees in 90+ degree weather. Not going to do it again.

Right now it’s looking like my only prospects are does, a short tine 9 and a short tine 10 point. Something better may still show up but that’s the best I can hope for right now.

This will be my third year to hunt from a saddle and I have to say, I am so glad I got rid of my climbers and lockons. Never going back.

Good luck to everyone!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Being from Ohio, We don't open until next weekend. G.W. said I couldn't start early just for a contest. I've never figured out the picture posting so may have to send mine to someone to post. I see lots of contest points on BAMAs deer pic. Go team 10

Back