• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tech question from an old guy

JASmith

SH Member
I'm 52 not very tech savvy or spell well. So bear with me. Looking for the best device. I use my phone allot but want something else to really get into some hunting apps (go hunt, on x, etc.) I'm pretty basic not using to play any games, just a few hunting sites, Amazon, my retirement info, just the basics. Any advice?

honestly, a laptop. assuming you don't want to take it up a tree with you. me personally would get one with a SIM card option (like your phone) so it will connect anywhere your phone will and is a little more secure in that if you travel or use it outside of home you don't have to connect to public wifi. you can add it to your phone data plan like a second phone. I wouldn't consider a tablet, they are just as much as a laptop but less features (keyboard)

Thanks @colin.704
With that being said. I would not be taking it out of wifi. It would likely stay at home or possible go to work. I would be sure that what ever I pick up would read a SD card for trail camera.

You'll be hard pressed to find many modern devices that have an SD card slot built into it for reading trail cam cards. SD cards (at least in that larger format) are fairly old tech these days and trail cams are one of the few devices that still use them. However, there are adapters you can get where you plug the SD card into that and then plug the adapter into the device. Just didn't want you to be limited based on that.

I'd recommend a tablet. I'm not a big fan of them, but they seem to be quite popular with your generation. Apple makes the best, Samsung makes decent ones as well. I would stick with a tablet that uses the same operating system as your phone since you are already familiar with it (i.e., iOS or Android)

Yeah if you find a tablet with a USB port this would work well. If find you like a tablet doesn’t have a USB port I’m sure they have a different style adapter for that type of port.

I’d also recommend a tablet if you’re wanting to run apps. Easier on the eyes than using a phone. Android tablets can be had for fairly inexpensive and if you search you may find one that accepts micro sd cards.

I'm an older guy, but have been in the tech biz for all of my career.

"Best" device would depend on a lot of factors:

1. What exactly do you want to use it for? Given the list you gave, a tablet sounds like your best bet.
2. Would you take it into the field, or just for use around the house? If in the field, get a bigger mobile phone or a smaller tablet. If just around the house, would it be in a fixed location (laptop) or you want to easily use it anywhere in the house or while mobile(tablet/large phone) .
3. What is your budget? If you're flush, then Apple phones/tablets are the best out there. If you want to take it into the field, then an iPad mini would be ideal, or again, a larger phone. Android devices typically are a lot cheaper, but not as nice based on my comparisons, though a lot of people like them.
4. What other features might you want? Since I'm due for a phone upgrade, I'm seriously considering the new iPhone 14 pro (smaller version), since it has satellite emergency messaging, thus precluding the need for a Garmin InReach....but the price of new phones is stratospheric! Ouch! So haven't pulled the trigger on it yet (all puns intended).

I use HuntWise (mainly for their HuntCast predictions) and Spypoint (trailcam) apps. I run them on both my phone (and older/smaller iPhone 6s, due for upgrade soon) and my tablet (was an original iPad Air, but a new cell-capable iPad mini arrives tomorrow). The mini will be my go-to around the house for reading/apps and when commuting to work (only once a week now). Since I have the same apps on my phone, I take that into the field....smaller form factor works better for packing/carrying hunting. I may consider packing the iPad mini when I plan to be on a stand for a longer period.....nice size for reading and such to pass the time, though I'm usually content just soaking in the woods atmosphere.

Hope this helps a bit! @JASmith

Helps a ton. Allot of info there. Some things to consider and really think about how much and where I might use this device. Never thought about taking it to field, never considered a larger phone. Allot of things to think about. Thanks

Look for Black Friday specials coming soon. I picked up a normally expensive Chromebook for $150 last year that was a super deal. Tablet and laptop in one package.

Back