• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tengu Harness question

Tuhlmann

I’m new to saddle hunting, but not to tree climbing & industrial rope access. I am familiar with various work harnesses and arborist saddles but have never hunted from one. Stumbling upon this forum was a great find for me and I’m learning a lot.

Starting to sort out what I want for a loadout to hunt but I’m late to the dance for this season it looks like, but I have a New Tribe Kengu rec saddle that is phenomenally comfortably to sit it for long periods of time. I climb trees using SRT methods not common to most recreational climbers, but am open to adapting to other techniques better suited to quietness & stealth for hunting.

My question is this...what benefit is there to using a bridge instead of clipping my tree tether directly into the delta link at saddle center? Would a sitdrag offer a big advantage in comfort over using the Tengu alone?

I'll tell you from my experience clipping into an RCH single point vs using a sit drag with a bridge, clipping into the bridge allows you to rotate your hips to get good form on a shot from behind you. when you try this clipped into a single point you cannot rotate the same way being connected to 1 central point that doesn't allow you to rotate your hips.

that's just my two cents...

Also if you can i'd be interested in seeing your SRT methods via video...

Also if you can i'd be interested in seeing your SRT methods via video...

This is not me, but his rig is nearly identical to mine and technique is the same:

I lack videography equipment & skills...

Also, I understand your point about single point connection on a RCH, but that’s why I’m asking about the Tengu specifically. It’s construction & features are a bit different so I’m curious if anyone has any experience in one for saddle hunting. It may not be different enough though.

@Tuhlmann that's the method I've been looking into but using a chest roller on the rope as well for more vertical support. Thanks for sharing the link!

For climbing rope your rig is fine. I can’t speak to it’s comfort, but looking at that fella’s junk all hemmed up as he locked into his bridge makes me think hangin/sitting for hours might not be roses.

A bridge allows you to roll your hips for a shot.

I would imagine, like any of the methods you’ve seen here, it will work in a pinch. You’ve got the gear and know how. Grab your bow and see what you can do with it

I’ll play around a bit and report back since it looks like I may be a little too narrow in scope of question. I can fab up a “tether” and work off of my climber bottom at ground level to get a feel.

If you are standing on a platform or a tree limb you can just turn around to shoot behind you. I tried a rock climbing harness and could shoot 360 degrees even without a sliding bridge while standing on a platform. You will be fine hunting from a tree if you do arborist work.

That’s kinda what I thought. I’v never used a bridge like arborists like to, but rather always a chest ascender and fifi hooks, re-anchors, and deviations for positioning. I can see how a bridge would provide for easier hip rotation though.

I’m just trying to bridge (see what I did there?) what I already have & know to what is established practice for experienced saddle hunting. Not looking to re-invent anything, but I’m going to Tengu up and play around to see what the limitations are. At worst it will be more comfortable than a standard RCH, at best I may find it’s a totally acceptable option for this season or at least until the Big Backorder fall event is over with.

Your saddle may clink more with all the metal hardware alerting the deer. The videos of arborists jumping around in the trees are amazing. If you get in a big tree you could move around standing on branches and maybe be able to get more clear shots because of mobility.

The Tengu isn’t an arborists saddle. It’s a what New Tribe calls a “recreational” saddle, designed to be sat in for long periods of time, even slept it. So far it’s been remarkably comfortable for me, but I have never sat still for hours in it yet. What little hardware is on it can be easily silenced, but there only one delta link and one D-ring for no-pinch leg mobility.

58C99F38-2659-444D-83A4-5EBDAE52C228.jpeg

I’m thinking about trying to replace the delta link with a rope “bridge” to see how it changes things. Let me see what I can rustle up...

Back