• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tennessee license help needed.

Ckwilli

SH Member
The group I volunteer with is taking a group of veterans on a private land duck hunt in Tennessee this week. My question is, for those of us that need license, do we print a copy or does the TN app have your license on it? Last time we printed everything but they got wet and messy. Here in MO we just use our phone app and it has our tags on it. I've tried contacting the TN DNR but can't get anyone to answer. HOPEFULLY some of our TN brothers can give me some information. Thanks!!

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

I live in NC, but hunt my in-laws farm in TN. They don’t require you to print your kill confirmation anymore, so I wouldn’t be surprised if you can just show them the license on the app. My license is literally two clicks away on the app. I could definitely have that pulled up faster than digging out the paper copy from a pack. I renew mine through the app every year also

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No reason not to have both. Too easy to put printed license in baggie incase phone goes down. Then again, I would just issue you the violation notice and have you text my state issued cell phone with a screen shot of your license (with a purchased date prior to our contact of course). From there I would inform you to dispose of your copy and I would just submit the I.R. sans V.N.
For records/documentation purposes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have mine on the app but I take a screen shot of it and it has been good enough every time I have been checked.

No reason not to have both. Too easy to put printed license in baggie incase phone goes down. Then again, I would just issue you the violation notice and have you text my state issued cell phone with a screen shot of your license (with a purchased date prior to our contact of course). From there I would inform you to dispose of your copy and I would just submit the I.R. sans V.N.
For records/documentation purposes

Ok, so I'm guessing you are a wildlife officer in TN? What does I.R sans V.N. mean? I'm wanting to buy my license at the last possible day because of COVID and the possibility that we, for some reason, would have to cancel. I was planning on buying it the night before we leave to drive to TN because that would be the last chance I had to print it before I leave home.

Ok, so I'm guessing you are a wildlife officer in TN? What does I.R sans V.N. mean? I'm wanting to buy my license at the last possible day because of COVID and the possibility that we, for some reason, would have to cancel. I was planning on buying it the night before we leave to drive to TN because that would be the last chance I had to print it before I leave home.

I Definitely do not live in TN.
IR = incident report
Sans = Without
VN = Violation Notice.

PS = Post Script
TN = Tennessee

I finally got in touch with the TN conservation dept and they said the app was all I need but to do a screenshot of the receipt. Thanks everyone who responded.

I finally got in touch with the TN conservation dept and they said the app was all I need but to do a screenshot of the receipt. Thanks everyone who responded.
This is as I expected, but I didn't want to lead you astray based on "well, I heard it's ____...." Glad you were able to get in touch with TWRA about it!

As a practical matter, I like to have at least two ways to show I'm legal in case one of them fails (e.g., have it screen-shotted in case no cell service; have it printed in case phone dies; have it on phone in case paper copy gets wet; etc.). But at the end of the day, having proof of licensure is always secondary to actually being licensed, meaning that just because you can't show it at that moment doesn't mean you're unlicensed (though it is definitely preferable to have proof handy). One other thing, don't forget your federal duck stamp--I think everyone on here should buy one even if you don't duck hunt, but it can be an easy thing to forget when buying an out-of-state license for an early-season duck hunt.

Good luck, and happy hunting!

Good deal. And good luck on the hunt!!!!

This is as I expected, but I didn't want to lead you astray based on "well, I heard it's ____...." Glad you were able to get in touch with TWRA about it!

As a practical matter, I like to have at least two ways to show I'm legal in case one of them fails (e.g., have it screen-shotted in case no cell service; have it printed in case phone dies; have it on phone in case paper copy gets wet; etc.). But at the end of the day, having proof of licensure is always secondary to actually being licensed, meaning that just because you can't show it at that moment doesn't mean you're unlicensed (though it is definitely preferable to have proof handy). One other thing, don't forget your federal duck stamp--I think everyone on here should buy one even if you don't duck hunt, but it can be an easy thing to forget when buying an out-of-state license for an early-season duck hunt.

Good luck, and happy hunting!
I have my duck stamp. I have it for hunting in Missouri. I think I've bought a duck stamp every year since 1988 except for two season when I was out of the country. This will be my second trip to Tennessee duck hunting but my first since the app went live. The TWRA is always very easy to work with.

Back