• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Terhrd Ropes

kelly.jayp

Not sure how many have gotten to see the ropes yet since saddles are not shipping yet - other than the pro staff. I ordered a platform then last week ordered a LB and tether and they came yesterday. Here are some pics. Love the smaller spliced eyes / no knots. I took the prusiks off and replaced with Rooemans. The rope is thicker than the Samson Predator- tried to show that in one of the pics - Tethrd rope is on left predator on right - and because of that a little less supple. But great product and good price for ropes and carabiners. Thumbs up
5161a8c94d066641f09f75c6affe64e9.jpg
0804a0eb796ca6a007cf750b441052a2.jpg
d1dca19c50ab5cd654206e479b3cf034.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you going to just girth hitch the LB to one side of the saddle and drop the second biner? Or do you prefer to have it easily removable - just curious. It would seem to me dumping that second biner would be a good way to go.

Thanks for posting pics a, look like some good products, I need to get off my ass and do some splicing already lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting pics a, look like some good products, I need to get off my ass and do some splicing already lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Same here! Though these types of ropes look a lot more involved to splice than the hollow Amsteel. I'm considering splicing a loop into the tag end of the tether line after placing some tubing on the line that will slide and will be used as a foot stirrup.. I'd like to try using the tether as a movable aider. It would allow me to drop one more piece of gear, and my tether would be right there handy to hook up once I'm at the top stick. I'd put the loop in the tag end so the tubing is out of the way when the tether is in it's originally intended use.

Are you going to just girth hitch the LB to one side of the saddle and drop the second biner? Or do you prefer to have it easily removable - just curious. It would seem to me dumping that second biner would be a good way to go.

I think the biner will be cleaner and less bulky (like the LB knot on the Kestrel) so right now not planning to girth hitch. I won’t take it off just put it in a pouch keeping it connected on one side.

I am using 4 biners with my tethrd LB and tether. Clipping the biner from the spliced loop back around to the rope is so much easier than feeding all the rope and hardware through the splice for a girth hitch.

Not sure how many have gotten to see the ropes yet since saddles are not shipping yet - other than the pro staff. I ordered a platform then last week ordered a LB and tether and they came yesterday. Here are some pics. Love the smaller spliced eyes / no knots. I took the prusiks off and replaced with Rooemans. The rope is thicker than the Samson Predator- tried to show that in one of the pics - Tethrd rope is on left predator on right - and because of that a little less supple. But great product and good price for ropes and carabiners. Thumbs up
5161a8c94d066641f09f75c6affe64e9.jpg
0804a0eb796ca6a007cf750b441052a2.jpg
d1dca19c50ab5cd654206e479b3cf034.jpg

Thanks for the review! I think we'll like the rope being a little stiffer on the lineman's belt. It makes flipping the belt up much easier. For years I used a flipline with a steel cable core for just that reason.

As light as the Ascent Lite biner is, I'll keep mine on my belt. I prefer to unhook the end of my belt when passing limbs. I don't have to drag the entire length of my belt over the limb, just the end of it. Less chance of making noise. I also like that it keeps your Ropeman or prussik on your hip with no chance of it banging on something or getting jammed with twigs, bark, or leaves. Just my humble opinion. Everyone is different, so do what works best for you.

Thanks for the review! I think we'll like the rope being a little stiffer on the lineman's belt. It makes flipping the belt up much easier. For years I used a flipline with a steel cable core for just that reason.

As light as the Ascent Lite biner is, I'll keep mine on my belt. I prefer to unhook the end of my belt when passing limbs. I don't have to drag the entire length of my belt over the limb, just the end of it. Less chance of making noise. I also like that it keeps your Ropeman or prussik on your hip with no chance of it banging on something or getting jammed with twigs, bark, or leaves. Just my humble opinion. Everyone is different, so do what works best for you.

Agree

I am using 4 biners with my tethrd LB and tether. Clipping the biner from the spliced loop back around to the rope is so much easier than feeding all the rope and hardware through the splice for a girth hitch.

Using the carabiner to clip to the rope around the tree is not recommended by manufacturers. Puts forces on the carabiner in ways that are not optimal. The screw link is more appropriate for this application.

I get mine tomorrow!! I can’t wait and since i have had communication with these guys and know thier experience with saddle hunting i can’t imagine that the quality wouldn’t be nothing but the best.

Dang those are slick I might have to look into upgrading to that at some point.

Is the sheath a softer material similar to the Predator rope? Or is it stiffer like PMI ExBend or Sterling HTP? I prefer to run the Ropeman 2 and it doesn't work with those ropes with a flimsy sheath.

Using the carabiner to clip to the rope around the tree is not recommended by manufacturers. Puts forces on the carabiner in ways that are not optimal. The screw link is more appropriate for this application.
I stopped doing it because of this. The convenience is nice though. I really don't think you could break a carabiner this way, but the what ifs scare me.

Dang those are slick I might have to look into upgrading to that at some point.

Is the sheath a softer material similar to the Predator rope? Or is it stiffer like PMI ExBend or Sterling HTP? I prefer to run the Ropeman 2 and it doesn't work with those ropes with a flimsy sheath.

It’s softer than Predator and a tad thicker. Not HSS rope soft, but for sure different than the Predator

I stopped doing it because of this. The convenience is nice though. I really don't think you could break a carabiner this way, but the what ifs scare me.
I actually disagree with this(not that it scares you) Wrapping the rope around the tree and then clipping the anchor end is actually ok. It is not tri-loading the biner and I can't imagine hanging in a tree with a small enough radius to create pressure on the side of the spine in the way that is warned against. the pressure you are exerting by hanging is directed around the tree and the biner is loaded only along the long access. Using a pear shaped biner will allow the rope to settle into the correct position better as well. If you're worried about it, wrap the tree twice then clip it. This creates an effective friction wrap anchor on the tree. All the force will be on the wraps around the tree-- the biner will almost be hanging there by itself barely load,ed, if at all.

I actually disagree with this(not that it scares you) Wrapping the rope around the tree and then clipping the anchor end is actually ok. It is not tri-loading the biner and I can't imagine hanging in a tree with a small enough radius to create pressure on the side of the spine in the way that is warned against. the pressure you are exerting by hanging is directed around the tree and the biner is loaded only along the long access. Using a pear shaped biner will allow the rope to settle into the correct position better as well. If you're worried about it, wrap the tree twice then clip it. This creates an effective friction wrap anchor on the tree. All the force will be on the wraps around the tree-- the biner will almost be hanging there by itself barely load,ed, if at all.
This

@Vtbow, nice try. I'm done changing. Sticks to stepps, bolts vs. spurs, amsteel vs. web, low tether vs. high tether, platform vs. steps.

I'mma chuck all this stuff in the wood chipper and get my spray paint camo bucket back out. Blue jeans, field jacket, and a 30-30. My little own brain is the only thing that hurts more than my wallet. ;)

Even in a fall?

Even so, I think I prefer the screw link if I were going to use one of these options. Though currently I use neither.

I really think a tether would see very little force in a fall. I have a hard time introducing slack into mine. If my platform suddenly failed, even that would result in a swing.

Absolute worst case I can imagine is falling while standing up unhook the tether. At the very most, I'd have a foot of slack in the system.

I've used a lone wolf strap with 2 neutrinos lots as a tether at ground level squirrel hunting. Fits in a shirt pocket and if you fall the only thing you could hurt is your feelings. Super quick to hook up if I wanna stick around in a spot for a minute, and negligible weight if that doesn't happen.

I've spent hours playing with that setup, and have never had the strap, the buckle, or the biner exhibit signs of stress. Would I recommend using it at height? Absolutely not. But I've been unable to break it.

Back