• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Terry Drury Accident

kelly.jayp

Aug 23, 2017
Charlotte, NC area
100% Wild Podcast has his story of his fall from a stand this year. He had on a 40 POUND backpack as he climbed - (apparently this is his normal system). Unreal to think one of the faces of the industry put himself in a dangerous situation - no safety line / tether / lineman’s belt. I can tell you all I feel like I take safety much more seriously after being on this forum (and I was never reckless). One of the great things about this forum is how everyone looks out for each other. Here’s to a speedy recovery for Terry. He’s damn lucky. Be safe all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike K

Oct 29, 2014
NJ
According to the podcast account, a screw-in step he had most his weight on went out from under him. He said the tree was damaged and I guess this compromised the step.
I had that happen before and it happens so fast there isn't a thing you can do. luckily I was only 3 steps high when it happened.
Im glad Terry's OK and wish him a speedy recovery.

kelly.jayp

Aug 23, 2017
Charlotte, NC area
He was 18 feet up when the step gave - no tether - and a 40 # pack - his camera guy had just gone up ahead of him. He said he felt his spine compress.

g2outdoors

Vendor Rep
Oct 3, 2014
Savannah, GA
FACEBOOK
g2outdoors
TWITTER
g2outdoors
YOUTUBE
G2Adventures
Awful. I wonder if it would have been different if he was using a LB.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

brydan

Oct 15, 2015
A guy I hunt with nearly launched himself 20' out of tree when a screw in broke. The interesting part to me is he still buys the cheapest imported steps he can find.

jryser

Jun 4, 2017
There's ZERO reason not to tether from the first to the last step these days. Not judging Terry. Just using the moment as a reminder.

g2outdoors

Vendor Rep
Oct 3, 2014
Savannah, GA
FACEBOOK
g2outdoors
TWITTER
g2outdoors
YOUTUBE
G2Adventures
After listening to the podcast and Terry's story, it sounded like the perfect storm. It could have been prevented, but he got complacent. Luckily he wasn't seriously injured...unless of course a broken back isn't serious!

We hunt with the safest hunting tool in the world. That said, if you aren't using a Lineman Belt or some other safety aid during your climb, you are asking for trouble. Safety first, last, and always! No deer is worth your health or your life!

DanielB89

Nov 17, 2017
Monroe, LA
I've read a story of where someone fell into a tree step and it de-nutted him. Literally. Ripped his scrotum open and he had to get it stitched back up.

I think some times we fail to fully grasp the reality of a fall. a step breaking, even when being tied in, will most likely leave you with some type of reward. My step dad has a climber strap break on him on the way up. Even with him being tied off, it still left him hanging for close to 30 mins. Most of those 30 mins were upside down as his feet were trapped in the bottom part of the climbing stand. Be sure you know how much slack is in your rope so that it doesn't allow you to fall more than a couple inches if possible.

Ontariofarmer

SH Member
Dec 25, 2015
The most dangerous part of saddle hunting is climbing to height with a lineman's belt. Once I am tethered to the tree not much can happen except gear failure. That is one reason to like saddle hunting.
Even with a lineman's belt a fall might hurt but it will not likely be super bad.

g2outdoors

Vendor Rep
Oct 3, 2014
Savannah, GA
FACEBOOK
g2outdoors
TWITTER
g2outdoors
YOUTUBE
G2Adventures
The most dangerous part of saddle hunting is climbing to height with a lineman's belt. Once I am tethered to the tree not much can happen except gear failure. That is one reason to like saddle hunting.
Even with a lineman's belt a fall might hurt but it will not likely be super bad.

I agree with this. A true fall, even with a properly used LB, will more than likely result in injuries. Hopefully they're the cuts & bruises type as opposed to the broken bones and serious life-altering type.

I'm guilty of climbing into a preset stand without my LB. I need to do better at this.

huck72412

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Nov 27, 2014
Imagine falling even 5 feet and whacking your face on a screw in step.. Gross!!!!

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
I'm not saying this was the case in Terry's fall, but I can't tell you how many trees I find where people have screw in steps installed incorrectly. There should not be a gap between the portion of the step you stand on and the tree. The step is going to flex every time you step on it and eventually break. I am surprised it doesn't happen more often with the amount of trees that I find set up incorrectly.

Ontariofarmer

SH Member
Dec 25, 2015
That is the great thing about most cranford steps. Easier to install and the step is easier to get tight to the tree

Ontariofarmer

SH Member
Dec 25, 2015
I have fallen back 4 feet when my lineman’s belt carabiner did not hook properly. Since then I always double check the connection

buckshideout

Nov 30, 2017
I've read a story of where someone fell into a tree step and it de-nutted him. Literally. Ripped his scrotum open and he had to get it stitched back up.

I think some times we fail to fully grasp the reality of a fall. a step breaking, even when being tied in, will most likely leave you with some type of reward. My step dad has a climber strap break on him on the way up. Even with him being tied off, it still left him hanging for close to 30 mins. Most of those 30 mins were upside down as his feet were trapped in the bottom part of the climbing stand. Be sure you know how much slack is in your rope so that it doesn't allow you to fall more than a couple inches if possible.
I had this almost happen 25 years ago. Can still remember it to this day