• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tether and Lineman belt length??

The Papa Files 7

I was wondering what you guys think the best length is for a tether and a lineman's belt..
As a note I was thinking of trying out the one climbing stick method and wondered if having a longer tether would help??
Any tips, comments appreciated...

Thank You,

for most trees I hunt 6 foot max end to end.... .if I'm hunting a large tree then I have larger belt and strap I take.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys,
Hey Dave T , I dig your videos (the one you did on Hawk Sticks Mod sealed the deal and I went with them.. Thank you for doing a great vid), Also thank you for the scouting videos (very helpful) Keep up the good work...

BassBoysLLP,
I was thinking 8ft and wanted to ask if you are hunting smaller trees (which thankfully you can with a Saddle) does the extra length get in the way?
Just curious..
I'm picking up some 11mm PMI cord today for a lineman belt,and Tether I appreciate both of your feedbacks... Good timing...

With a 6 foot tether, I can hunt trees up to 20 inches in diameter - but I use a chin high hook up and keep the ropeman right up against the girth hitch. I seldom hunt trees bigger than 20 inches in diameter, most of mine are actual 8-12 inches.

Extra length doesn't get in the way. The tag is daisy chained and clipped into the carabiner. My tether is my second lineman's belt.

When I climb the tree, I have my lineman's belt girth hitched to one side tether girth hitched to the other side. It's easy to move quickly and safely around limbs. Once at hunting height, ungirth the tether and tie in. Easy peasy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Do you guys use the same length for the lineman's belt or shorter?
Same length here. 8 feet. Tethrd is a good option. Both lineman's and tether are 8 feet finished and professionally spliced to keep the bulk low.

I use different ropes for each.... both Samson ultratek... lineman's and belt is smaller diameter ultratek with a sewn loop on one end a ropeman2 on other. tether is larger ultratek with large sewn loop and ropeman1,

12' tether and linemens. My linemens belt is a 2 in 1 lanyard.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Same length here. 8 feet. Tethrd is a good option. Both lineman's and tether are 8 feet finished and professionally spliced to keep the bulk low.

So the 11mm Static line I have is 6' 8" finished with the Loop knot and a backed up overhand using a petzl GriGri belay device for the ascender (I had one in my climbing gear so it's getting re-purposed). I could probably get an extra 3 to 4" by going to a prusik or a different ascender that doesn't waist line. I also have a number of climbing slings (22KN break strength and 3000KG break strength) in 2, 3, and 4 foot lenghts. Would you see any potential issues girth hitching a sling into the eye and using the sling as the eye to extend the tether 2 - 4' if needed? Would a locking carabiner work better as the eye to reduce the eye size? Does a smaller eye reduce the likelyhood of the tether slipping if you have to work around the tree?

I could probably get an extra 3 to 4" by going to a prusik or a different ascender that doesn't waist line. I also have a number of climbing slings (22KN break strength and 3000KG break strength) in 2, 3, and 4 foot lenghts. Would you see any potential issues girth hitching a sling into the eye and using the sling as the eye to extend the tether 2 - 4' if needed?

TTT

So the 11mm Static line I have is 6' 8" finished with the Loop knot and a backed up overhand using a petzl GriGri belay device for the ascender (I had one in my climbing gear so it's getting re-purposed). I could probably get an extra 3 to 4" by going to a prusik or a different ascender that doesn't waist line. I also have a number of climbing slings (22KN break strength and 3000KG break strength) in 2, 3, and 4 foot lenghts. Would you see any potential issues girth hitching a sling into the eye and using the sling as the eye to extend the tether 2 - 4' if needed? Would a locking carabiner work better as the eye to reduce the eye size? Does a smaller eye reduce the likelyhood of the tether slipping if you have to work around the tree?
The runner should work OK. Note that the girth will reduce the strength by up the 50% but that should be plenty strong.

Tether should not slip if you have your weight on it. There are multiple ways to keep it up if you take your weight off it.

The runner should work OK. Note that the girth will reduce the strength by up the 50% but that should be plenty strong.

Tether should not slip if you have your weight on it. There are multiple ways to keep it up if you take your weight off it.

What do you used to keep it from slipping if you take your weight off?

Back