• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tether height and other questions?????

John Eberhart

Vendor Rep
Since Saddlehunter is getting so many new visitors and will continue to do so as harness hunting become more popular, my questions are targeted at getting as much useful information as possible for new users from our members that have been doing this for years.

So pertaining to how you long term members tether to the tree:
Do you double wrap your lead strap or rope around the tree so that it binds on itself so it doesn't slip down the tree?
Do you use a stop of some sort and single wrap?
What is your typical tether height when standing upright on your ring of steps?
Do you alter your tether height according to tree diameters and leans?
To what extent do you bend your knees when perched in the waiting position?
How many steps do you use in accordance to differing tree diameters?
Anything else you can mention that might aid new users?

I was asked in a private message about my tether height and responded with the below answer.

My tether is typically about forehead to hairline level but the diameter of the tree, the lean of the tree and the branches on the tree in the area I'm perched (primarily on public because on private I would cut them off) all affect tether height. Keep in mind that with my tether system I could hunt a flat wall if I could climb it so I deal with some pretty big diameter trees.

For instance the first pic is of a tree I hunted in 2004 and it's a big diameter tree with a big lean and I tethered a bit higher because of the lean. Due to the lean going away from me (which should always be the case with leaning trees), I needed more lead to be perched comfortably. On a tree with this much lean you can't swing around to the opposite side for a shot because gravity would pull you away from the tree and you would just dangle there. This tree was at a primary scrape area (to my left) so I had a very specific target area. There is no way you could hunt this tree with a climber or hang-on. The ring was 8 steps so as not to have much movement from step to step because of the lean.
index.php

The tree my son Jon is preparing here is a very large diameter tree as well and it's straight in the area he would be perched in so he had his tether a little above hair line so he could swing around the tree. He also raised his steps about an inch and a half each as he put them around the back of the tree to make up for the lead raising his body. He had a ring of 7 steps.

index.php

This tree is standard diameter with a lean and the tether here would be at forehead height.

index.php

Although this tree is a relatively large diameter, it has several large branches in the perched area that incumbered swinging totally around the tree so the lead was tethered at nose height and the ring of steps was 4.

index.php

This pine is very small diameter and I only needed 3 steps to ring the tree and had the lead tethered at eye height.

index.php

Every tree has it's own requirements concerning drape and ring of steps and how they're placed.

I would be very interested to hear what people have to say. I have listened to your podcast and about to purchase your books. I am new to sling hunting and purchased two sit drags and the ropes and carabiners to make my bridge and tether. I practiced in my yard and I think I have a general idea of how high to make my tether and how long my bridge will be. I have been looking into saddle/sling hunting for years but never made the plunge. I was going to purchase a trophyline saddle when they were in business but never got around to it.

Any suggestions you or anyone else can give me I would be very interested. I wish I could come to saddle palooza but having three kids and full time work and full time college doesn't give me much time. I am in the process of making my own sling as well. I am going to make it simple like the tree sling mod you shown us a while back. My friend at church does upholstery and has a heavy duty sewing machine.

Every tree is different for sure. I do a lot of run and gun hunts but I am trying to learn to be more purposeful in my setups.

For me, I make sure that I have enough tether to make adjustments.

I tend to make one wrap around the tree, but two wraps through the figure 8 knot. That helps keep the wrap in place. I wish I could get comfortable with your t screw method, but I haven't gotten there yet.

Long story short. I set up and if I don't like the way it feels due tree lean, size, branches etc, I adjust.

I have an adjustable bridge for the same reason. I find that adjusting the tether up or down, often requires adjusting the bridge length to go with it.

In the cottonwood picture you are sitting on top of the lean, and its pretty extreme. In a tree with a a lighter lean. If I want to be 90 degrees of off the lean, I will rotate my tether knot around the tree so it naturally pulls me away from gravity and the tendency to fall under the lean.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thx for your comment erniepower. Your right it depends on what tree your hunting in. I was wondering about screw in steps for a platform I think it would be easier for me instead of cranking on a ratchet strap close to a bedding area. Any suggestions

I just do a lot of run and gun sets myself on public land only have one lease in Kentucky that's about 130 Acres. But just thinking about it a ratchet strap going to be a whole lot easier than screw in steps but I'm just nervous of the noise.

Also I was wondering what's an easy way besides drilling into the tree for running and gunning to easily screw tree steps into the tree for your platform. A wrench?

Long story short. I set up and if I don't like the way it feels due tree lean, size, branches etc, I adjust.

I have an adjustable bridge for the same reason. I find that adjusting the tether up or down, often requires adjusting the bridge length to go with it.

Totally agree Ernie and the new Kestrel has a bridge adjustment whereas no other commercial harness in the past, has.

Do you double wrap your tree strap strap or rope around the tree so that it binds on itself so it doesn't slip down the tree?Do you use a stop of some sort and single wrap?
One single wrap around the tree.

What is your typical tree strap height when standing upright on your ring of steps?
At or above head height

Do you alter your tree strap height according to tree diameters and leans?
No, tree size or lean has no impact on my tree strap height.

~45 degrees

Can never have to many, typically no less than 6. Only time I will use less than 6 is if the tree is so small 6 and the ratchet strap won't all fit on the tree.

the new Kestrel has a bridge adjustment whereas no other commercial harness in the past, has.
The adjustments on the Kestrel are to adjust the "cup" of the saddle. By shortening the straps, it will increase the pressure felt under your thighs/butt area. Its not a bridge adjustment, it adjust the bridge loop attachment points. The bridge length doesn't change, although the overall length might.

Thanks,
Boswell

John, you always bring so much to this community and your pics are always a great benefit.

I typically single wrap unless it is a small diameter tree at which time I will double wrap as I have a twelve foot tether.

No stop but my loop just fits my ropeman and carabiner as I have a Prusik above my ropeman as a backup.

Tether height is typically forehead height and as mentioned, can vary with tree lean, diameter, etc.

I am a leaner typically, but will sit with knees straddling tree throughout the day to let my legs rest.

I use 2-3 WE Steps for my platform depending on tree.

I climb with WE Steps and an adjustable Red Aider with my tether.

Hope this is helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eye high most of the time. Single wrap tether.... but I have been experimenting with a new tether hook up that virtually elinates hip pinch and makes walking around normal sized trees a breeze. I will have a video out by feb.... but this method won't be for everyone.

Edited due to typos

Last edited:
Do you double wrap your lead strap or rope around the tree so that it binds on itself so it doesn't slip down the tree?
When I used the trophyline strap I would put a screw in step upside down at the heigh I wanted it so it would not slide. If I couldn't use screw in steps I would double wrap it to keep it from sliding. Since I have gone to a rope tether I have stopped using a step or double wrapping. Girth hitching the rope around the tree is usually sufficient. The rope grips the tree better than the webbing did.
See above. I used to use an upside down screw in step when I used the trophyline strap but no longer need to.
My typical tether height is between somewhere around eye/forehead level when standing upright. On larger trees I need the ability to put my tether higher above my head. This gives more rope between the hookup and the bridge attachment and allows me to walk further around the tree. A short hookup works fine on smaller trees where you can usually just take a step and lean around them, but on the larger trees you need the extra length to move around them.
Again, see the answer above. Additionally if the tree is leaning away from me I will also put my tether higher than I usually do.
My knees are usually just above horizontal. If you called them 90 degrees when sitting in a chair, I would say I usually have them between 100-110 degrees. I sit in my saddle and have 80-90% of my weight in my saddle on my butt. I have no problem standing on steps for a long period of time because there is such little weight on my feet.
I can often make 5 or 6 steps work on any trees, but like everything else it depends on the tree diameter/lean. I have used anywhere from 3 steps on a small tree to 8 steps on a very large tree.
John has mentioned this, but if using screw in steps as you go around the you can start to place the steps higher around the tree so that as you move further from your tether hookup you can reach the step easier.
I hang my bow on my left side (righty) so that it is right at hand level so I can grab it quick with little motion. I just use a small accessory screw in hook or a similar strap on version that I made. On my right side around 1-2 o'clock on the tree I hang my pack around waist level. This usually keeps it out of the way.

The adjustments on the Kestrel are to adjust the "cup" of the saddle. By shortening the straps, it will increase the pressure felt under your thighs/butt area. Its not a bridge adjustment, it adjust the bridge loop attachment points. The bridge length doesn't change, although the overall length might.

I have my bridge attached to the adjustable side loops and the bridge definitely adjusts. May not have been planned that way but it's a nice feature none the less.

John, you always bring so much to this community and your pics are always a great benefit.

I typically single wrap unless it is a small diameter tree at which time I will double wrap as I have a twelve foot tether.

No stop but my loop just fits my ropeman and carabiner as I have a Prusik above my ropeman as a backup.

Tether height is typically forehead height and as mentioned, can vary with tree lean, diameter, etc.

I am a leaner typically, but will sit with knees straddling tree throughout the day to let my legs rest.

I use 2-3 WE Steps for my platform depending on tree.

I climb with WE Steps and an adjustable Red Aider with my tether.

Hope this is helpful.

Absolutely helpful as there is no wrong way, just whatever fits the needs of the individual and the more methods offered, the more helpful the thread will be to new users. Whenever pics can be posted that would help as well as a pic is worth a thousand words..

Eye high most of the time. Single wrap tethrr5.... but I have weighed out a new tether hook up that virtually elinates hip pinch ahs mashes walking around Norma sized trees a breeze and will have a video out by feb.... but out won't be for everyone

Look forward to the video Dave

Thanks Red and I know this stuff has all been covered in previous posts but they are buried someplace in the distant past so it's good for new members that we address these impact issues from time to time as also now there are a lot more hard core harness users than in the past as well.

Thx everyone for the help. Saddle hunting has changed the way I hunt. I don't have a lot of private land to hunt on but I do have access to several thousand acres of public land here in Kentucky. I used to dread having to pack in 40 lb of gear that included my back pack extra clothes treestand climbing sticks Etc. I don't know why I didn't do it years ago makes hunting so much more enjoyable.

First of all, @John Eberhart - great post!

I girth hitch my lead/tether/safety strap around the tree. Sometimes it slips down a bit when I'm attaching it and before I've added my body weight to it. Afterwards, it never moves.
No stopper. Single wrap.
On typical trees (12-18" diameter) I'll tie in at forehead height.
Yes. Bigger trees may require a longer tether (tied higher on the tree) depending on what platform I'm using. Ring of steps generally requires a longer tether. A seat platform doesn't.
Slightly above 90° - in the neighborhood of 45°-80°
I rarely use more than 5 steps. Usually 4.
Listen to the podcasts, watch YouTube videos, and READ THIS FORUM!!!!

Side note...is this the most bad a$$ saddle pic of all time? Yup.
index.php

Side note...is this the most bad a$$ saddle pic of all time? Yup.
index.php
[/QUOTE]

I love this pic!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back