• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tether options

JakeD

I have a HSS line that I was considering cutting down and using as my tether. Is this a good idea, or should I use something else? If I go this route, what is the usual length to go with?

Some are using that rope with no issues, but I would recommend doing some searches on here and get a good feel for it and other factors to consider, especially for New Tether System. There are better and safer options than the HSS, but you can make it work to fit your budget too.

John H., Hickory, NC

Keep your nose to the wind, and your eyes along the skyline.

Thanks John. I notice that you said there are better and safer options than the HSS. Care to elaborate on the safer part of it? Sorry for my ignorance, just trying to sort all of this out.

I would post the link, but I'm using Tapatalk and it doesn't play well with sharing a link to a post. Search the site for the thread on New Tether System for a really good reference. HSS is on the lower side of weight rating compared to other ropes, so that is what I meant. There are stronger options out there, but it is a choice we each have to make for ourselves as to what is strong enough.

John H., Hickory, NC

Keep your nose to the wind, and your eyes along the skyline.

I have a HSS line that I was considering cutting down and using as my tether. Is this a good idea, or should I use something else? If I go this route, what is the usual length to go with?

Tethrd LB is 8 ft

This seems to be a common length

I’m going with 9ft of 9mm ultra tech and using a duplicate for tether

Each with a 5in splice on a side & a 2in splice on the other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used a cut HSS just in the yard but I agree it is on the weaker side and it’s such an important piece of safety gear that I didn’t want to skimp.

My Tethrd tether was ordered this Sunday and I look forward to having piece of mind show up on my doorstep any day!!

Ok, thanks for the replies. I'll look into getting something with a higher rating.

I bought safety line from r&w rope. 30 ft. Cut it to length and spliced a 4 in. Eye in the end. The rope is rated at 6000lb. And comes with a caribiner. Working out great so far.

Not hss but i use the muddy lifeline which i think is equivalent. Tether and linesmans belt. They are both 9 feet. I know there's safer/better options but im working with what i got......if you can afford it, I'd recommend buying the better ropes

Back