• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tether options?

Eatonantlers

I may be re plowing old ground here so if someone has a link to this same question/conversation, feel free to redirect me. Thanks!
As my Saddle Hunting evolves and I continue to get great information from this forum, I'm discovering that the current method I'm using to tether in is causing a couple of issues.
First off, I use the Hunter Safety System Rope Style Tree Strap with the prussic knot to hang from.
https://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Safet...sr=8-2&keywords=hunters+safety+systems+safety

When the prussic knot performs as it should, it makes it (prussic) difficult to slide up and down the rope after I have applied my weight to it, kind of a PITA. I'm looking at ascenders like theses...

https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/Ascenders/ASCENSION

or

https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/Ascenders/CROLL

Do any of you use something similar and how applicable would something like this be?

On some of my properties I hunt I have been installing ladder sticks seasonally instead of carrying out my portable sticks. I also have multiple HSS Safety lines that I install on all of my conventional hang on stand and stick locals. My thought is that on these "permanent" sets, I'd hang from the safety line instead of messing with the short version "Tree Strap". Using Ernie's XOP platform I could be up the tree, platform set, and hunting in less than 2-3 minutes, AND much quieter.
Any advise or observation(s) are welcome!

Thanks,
T

Last edited:
Consider a Ropeman 1.
I wasnt a 'believer' until this season - now I almost cant see myself ever hitting the woods without one on my tether. It can't get more simple or functional.

I use a webbing strap for my linemans belt, if I used a rope I would be 100% sure it would have a Ropeman on one end to adjust.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Search for Ropeman 1 and you'll have hours of reading and definitely recommend on the lineman's belt too. For the HSS Safety lines - I have several of these on traditional sets - using that line as a tether may not be a good idea though because you want the ability to swing around the tree as needed - that movement will have the bottom 20 feet of rope flying all over I would think - and if you tied off the bottom of the line to the first step (which is what I did), you'd restrict your movement. I'd think you'd also get a lot of opinions about the HSS rope itself - there are better, climbing rated options and they are not expensive

Search for Ropeman 1 and you'll have hours of reading and definitely recommend on the lineman's belt too. For the HSS Safety lines - I have several of these on traditional sets - using that line as a tether may not be a good idea though because you want the ability to swing around the tree as needed - that movement will have the bottom 20 feet of rope flying all over I would think - and if you tied off the bottom of the line to the first step (which is what I did), you'd restrict your movement. I'd think you'd also get a lot of opinions about the HSS rope itself - there are better, climbing rated options and they are not expensive

Good point that I hadn't considered. Thanks!

you bet - lots of threads on tethers out there too - just do a search - a sample solution to upgrade from the HSS tree strap would be to get some Samson Predator rope and a better carabiner like a Petzl William. Add to that Wild Country Ropeman 1 instead of the Prusik / Blake's hitch - and you can make one handed adjustments. Sampson is what New Tribe uses on their Ketrel.

I took the Predator bridge off my kestrel and replaced it with a web runner, girth hitched on one end and clipped on the other with a carabiner. Then I took the Predator and tied a figure eight on a bight to one end and a stopper knot on the other. Clipped a Ropeman onto that to make my tree strap. Once high enough to hunt I just put a couple of tree steps in the tree, one at eye level directly in front of me, one offset and lower to the side. The lower one is mounted standard orientation, and the upper one is upside down. On the ground you can have everything connected the way you want it and wrapped around your waist. When you come in and climb to your hunting height you just hook the figure eight loop to the lower step and drape the rope over the upper step and set it in the space between the step and the tree. This has been discussed in several variations elsewhere (John E laid it out somewhere), and it works like a champ. Good luck.
You'll love the Kestrel.

I took the Predator bridge off my kestrel and replaced it with a web runner, girth hitched on one end and clipped on the other with a carabiner.

R.e. "Web runner...Any pics? Is this something you purchased, or did you make it?

Consider a Ropeman 1.
I wasnt a 'believer' until this season - now I almost cant see myself ever hitting the woods without one on my tether. It can't get more simple or functional.

I use a webbing strap for my linemans belt, if I used a rope I would be 100% sure it would have a Ropeman on one end to adjust.

I have one on the way!
Thanks!

Hope you have big feet (equates to large stockings) because you may want more than one!

In truth, I only have one but will probably buy more in the future.

Good luck.

Hope you have big feet (equates to large stockings) because you may want more than one!

In truth, I only have one but will probably buy more in the future.

Good luck.

You can never have to many. I'm temped to order two more just in case

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back