• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tether question

HuntJaxx

I bought my Kestrel setup with a 12ft tether. Problem is that this is way too much rope to deal with and I’m thinking I should trim it down. Any thoughts on tether length? Is the length related to comfort? Is there a “standard” tether length most guys go with?

I bought my Kestrel setup with a 12ft tether. Problem is that this is way too much rope to deal with and I’m thinking I should trim it down. Any thoughts on tether length? Is the length related to comfort? Is there a “standard” tether length most guys go with?
I got the 12' length with the intention of cutting it down after I got my system dialed in for me.
Ive decided that I like 12' for other applications...prepping trees and hanging pre sets. I like it at 12.

I originally got the 12' but ended up cutting it down to about 9'. The biggest factors in determining tether length is the diameter of the trees you normally hunt and the height you place your tether on the tree.

What do you guys do with all the excess rope on the tag end? It's near impossible to "tuck in" to the tether because it's so tight but that dangling piece of rope may catch passing game's eye and get picked out when you're trying to be stealthy.

I originally got the 12' but ended up cutting it down to about 9'. The biggest factors in determining tether length is the diameter of the trees you normally hunt and the height you place your tether on the tree.
I've considered cutting down to around 9 feet but I'd rather have that extra 3 feet that I may seldom need, rather than having a 9 footer and need it to be 9 and a half feet. Carrying 3 feet of extra rope isn't a burden, but being a smidge too short can make or break a possible stand location. It's amazing how there can be thousands of trees in a patch of woods and finding even 1 of them that will work for a close range weapon like my recurve, can be a real challenge. If I find that one single tree that will put me where I need to be, I sure don't want my tether to be too short for that tree.

What do you guys do with all the excess rope on the tag end? It's near impossible to "tuck in" to the tether because it's so tight but that dangling piece of rope may catch passing game's eye and get picked out when you're trying to be stealthy.
I usually let it hang between the tree and my Predator. It doesn't blow around with it like that.

I've considered cutting down to around 9 feet but I'd rather have that extra 3 feet that I may seldom need, rather than having a 9 footer and need it to be 9 and a half feet. Carrying 3 feet of extra rope isn't a burden, but being a smidge too short can make or break a possible stand location. It's amazing how there can be thousands of trees in a patch of woods and finding even 1 of them that will work for a close range weapon like my recurve, can be a real challenge. If I find that one single tree that will put me where I need to be, I sure don't want my tether to be too short for that tree.

I went back and forth for a long time thinking many of the same things before I cut it off. It hasn't come back to bite me yet but, I know someday it might. The biggest reason I did cut it was because I like to keep my tether in a pouch on the waist belt of my pack, it was a struggle to get 12' of rope in there but, 9' fits easily.

I tuck the tag end of my tether in behind my pack hanging in the tree. It keeps the free end from swinging around. I also use an adjustable bridge on my saddle that has a tag end hanging. That end I pull up and hook thru an accessory loop on my saddle. That keeps it secure on my hip.

I went back and forth for a long time thinking many of the same things before I cut it off. It hasn't come back to bite me yet but, I know someday it might. The biggest reason I did cut it was because I like to keep my tether in a pouch on the waist belt of my pack, it was a struggle to get 12' of rope in there but, 9' fits easily.
I wasn't insinuating that your way is wrong.
I've talked before about how great saddles are for setting hang-on stands.
Being attached to the tree via a tether that is up and away from interfering with setting the stand (unlike the way lineman belts get in the way) is wonderful. I've come to hate linemans for setting stands. Linemans always seem to be in the way. Tethers are the ticket. Which is another reason I like the tether to be long. Used in conjunction with a Ropeman 1, I have great mobility in the tree while setting a hang-on. Because of a tree characteristic, sometimes the stand just won't seat properly and needs repositioned a little and that often leads to the need to reposition the top step or 2. That long tether allows me to maneuver several feet up or down the tree easily with the Ropeman and make adjustments.

And there's much less fatigue hanging stands with a tether instead of the lineman.
I doubt I will ever shorten mine.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

U can just wrap it twice on small trees and have less hanging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the advice and Info in answer to my question. I’ve definitely got some things to tinker with and think about. Much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back