• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tether safety question

Camelcluch

SH Member
Can you all tell I’ve been alone for over a week? Okay, I’m have a healthy fear of heights and constantly look for simple ways to over secure myself. Question for climbing geeks. Is there anything wrong with taking the tail of my tether and running through the LB loops the clipping back onto itself? Kind of like a bridge.
In my mind it would help if the bridge or ascended broke.
Okay I’m done for the day. Thank you all.

I dont suppose it would hurt anything but if you're running a standard tether, its likely not long enough for what you want to do unless you're on a very skinny tree.

I would say as long as it still would act like a bridge and not slip and leave you hanging on your side. Just make sure it will grab each side equally.

Sounds like it won’t hurt. Easy comfort that makes me feel better.

I replaced the stock buckle on my Cruzr saddle and JX3 saddles and run a secondary tether from the waist belt using an AustriAlpin D-Loop buckle. Likely WAY overkill, but for the piece of mind - not a huge fan of heights either. Basically just a shorter tether that has a butterfly loop in with a carabiner and prussic to tighten it down - yes, the carabiner is likely technically cross-loaded if it were to come to that, but seemingly better than the Nestea plunge from hunting height.

1700061745856.png

Back