• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tethered in from ground?

gwhalin

How many of you tether in while climbing and using your lineman's belt? I realized that I always was tethered in to safety harness while climbing with my climber tree stand in the past. Did a practice run today climbing up LW steps with a movable aider and lineman's belt, but also clipped in to my tether and just moving it along. Didn't really seem to slow me down too much, though it was a lot going on moving my belt, tether, and aider. Overkill?

lineman's belt is fall prevention - it is a device to stabilize you while climbing. It's not a fall restraint device.

Tether will prevent a fall.

If you feel more comfortable, rock it man!

Its all about safety. Using the tether from the ground up is the safest way to go I think. Thats why I love my Lifelines. Even if it took you 5 minutes longer going up and down that is not even comparable to the amount of time you could have recovering from a fall assuming you survive the fall.

Obviously, the utmost in climbing safety is obtained by using the tether in conjunction with the lineman's belt and I would always encourage everyone to do so. Having said that, my personal choice is to use only my lineman's belt until I get to the top of my climbing sticks, then attach the tether. The way I look at it, if I wanted to be as safe as possible, I'd keep both feet on the ground. Hunting out of trees has inherent risks so you have to decide for yourself how much risk you're willing to accept.

I have invested in many lifelines to prep-trees in advance. Since I mostly hunt public land here in NJ-needless to say-things just disappear! Setting lifelines all over the place allows me to discretely set up locations. I put and take down sticks every hunt and having a lifeline makes it faster and safer and all the while leaving a smaller footprint of your spots.

R/S
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have invested in many lifelines to prep-trees in advance. Since I mostly hunt public land here in NJ-needless to say-things just disappear! Setting lifelines all over the place allows me to discretely set up locations. I put and take down sticks every hunt and having a lifeline makes it faster and safer and all the while leaving a smaller footprint of your spots.

R/S
Mike

492e1c88c0409d4215ec5470886fe8bc.jpg

8d0cd23290c790c6c2ae20e14d5a537d.jpg

This is how I double up my connection on the lifelines.

Too much for me. I’m not a backup upon backup kind of guy.

Linesman belt up, and one tether at hunting height.

Yeah that’s the problem with lifelines! You need an extra prusik because you don’t have a tag end to reattach to the carabiner. It’s only one tether secured at two points.

Im thinking about using my tether from ground to platform. Since I climb with bolts it would be pretty easy, and super safe. One less piece of gear too. Replace my normal linemans with a much smaller amsteel one to use if I have to get around a limb.

I use my tether in conjunction with my lineman's rope while climbing. I'm using the Knaider with WE steps, and attaching the tether gives me something to help pull myself up with. I'm getting over 3 1/2 feet per step using this method.

I’ll use both as well. If it takes me a few extra minutes. I’m good with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That’s another reason that I like the one stick method. I’m teathered in from the ground.

How many of you tether in while climbing and using your lineman's belt? I realized that I always was tethered in to safety harness while climbing with my climber tree stand in the past. Did a practice run today climbing up LW steps with a movable aider and lineman's belt, but also clipped in to my tether and just moving it along. Didn't really seem to slow me down too much, though it was a lot going on moving my belt, tether, and aider. Overkill?
I use a 2 in 1 linemens belt and that's what I mainly use on ascent and descent, never had a issue! Unless I'm doing SRT!

I do tether in if I feel I am at a sketchy point in a climb (sticks risking kickout on a leaner, trusting a branch as a step, stepping up onto platform, etc). Otherwise the lineman's and 3 points of contact I feel is enough. I'm not going to fall climbing a straightforward tree. Using your brains and employing that sort of risk-based approach makes the most sense to me.

492e1c88c0409d4215ec5470886fe8bc.jpg

8d0cd23290c790c6c2ae20e14d5a537d.jpg

This is how I double up my connection on the lifelines.

It’s my understanding the failure associated with ropeman is cutting the rope. Not sure the Prussik attached there would do much for that type of failure.

I guess it could help in a bridge failure if you were tied off somewhere else on your saddle.

Just something to consider, wasn’t sure what you were shooting for...

It’s my understanding the failure associated with ropeman is cutting the rope. Not sure the Prussik attached there would do much for that type of failure.

I guess it could help in a bridge failure if you were tied off somewhere else on your saddle.

They only cut through the rope with a 4kn or higher fall, He's not going to come close to that being tethered in how he is! The way he has it setup is confusing to me that prusik hitch won't do anything!

Yeah absolutely-I have a Prussik above the Ropeman as well. I carry a prussik Loop in my pocket so it’s light and quick and why not.

Tether above the lineman’s belt would be tough to do

Too much going on while trying to hang sticks imo would cause you to fall

If your linesman belt keeps you close to the tree you’ll bounce into the tree but only fall a foot or so

Using a tether along with a lineman’s belt for spurs seems busy.....Possible?

Haven’t tried it.

Back