• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tethering weapons at height

Empostarr

Anyone doing this to prevent dropping them? Never really thought about it before, but having my gun in the saddle got me to wondering what people do in case they drop their weapon or it falls somehow

I use 1/8” shock cord to tether a lot of things to my gear strap in the tree so I don’t drop them to the ground. I’m not tethering my weapon, but I do use an M4 single-point attachment sling to keep my crossbow, rifle, or shotgun attached to me while I’m in the tree. You can tie paracord around the narrowest part of the rear stock to create a paracord attachment point for the single point sling, and if you’re concerned about the metal sling clip scratching your weapon, just wrap the area with a generous amount of camoform tape before tying on the paracord attachment point and clipping in. Works great and you don’t have to worry about dropping your weapon if you nod off while you’re tethered in the tree.

It is an adjustment to get used to maneuvering your weapon on a single point sling in the presence of your bridge, but you’ll adapt and figure it out with some time and practice.

I'd never tether a bow because the tether could get in the cam/string track, etc and cause a nasty derail or other issue. I do find that having the bow hook solidly attached to the bow (making it and the bow one unit) and then hanging this off my accessory strap is much more secure than having a separate hook, like a hero clip, hanging off the accessory cord. You could probably do something similar for a rifle or other stuff.

The only weapon I’ve been taking is hanging at the ready on an S hook. If it does fall, I have a pull up cord with an S hook ready to fish it up. I’m trying to remember to loosen my back support strap before I reach for my bow…..I keep it pretty tight so it doesn’t just fall down if I stand upright. I wouldn’t want to have to untether my bow. When I do take my pistolla it’s in my pack, unless I swap positions with my saddle on the way out, it’ll stay there.

Back