• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tethers / safety rope question

Heath

First I'll say im new to saddle hunting and im still gathering the appropriate equipment to begin.
My question is this: looking at the different tethers from companies. Im I missing something because the HSS type style line is like $25 and most others sold by saddle companies are $55 to $80. They appear to come with similar items.
I have a HSS type style from my climber that I was going to use and I will need to purchase one more of some type. Safety is not the place to save a few bucks. Can someone explain these differences to me if any? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tethrd's tether is rated for 5,000 pounds. The HSS one is rated at 400. I am sure there are other differences but that one is the most obvious.***

*This information is false, I used a different rating for the same comparison.*

Last edited:
Plenty of us used the HSS rope as a tether the first year before we started thinking that a particular 8 foot rope would make us better hunters. We're not shock-loading our tether under normal circumstances. Test at ground level before you Trust up in a tree.

That said, the HSS carabiner & stuff was way heavier than what you can get in climbing gear. And you can find "shorts" (ends of ropes, oddball sizes, etc) at places like rwrope.com that make it a lot more affordable if you'll be buying a tether and linesman, etc.

Plenty of us used the HSS rope as a tether the first year before we started thinking that a particular 8 foot rope would make us better hunters. We're not shock-loading our tether under normal circumstances. Test at ground level before you Trust up in a tree.

That said, the HSS carabiner & stuff was way heavier than what you can get in climbing gear. And you can find "shorts" (ends of ropes, oddball sizes, etc) at places like rwrope.com that make it a lot more affordable if you'll be buying a tether and linesman, etc.
Never heard of that site before. Looks like it may prove useful.

Never heard of that site before. Looks like it may prove useful.

Look for "static" climbing rope at least 8mm in size, and with a KN rating in the 20's. Ask questions or search here for what other people have used or know about a specific piece if you have any doubts. "Sterling HTP Static" is a 9mm rope well respected around here, but there are smaller/lighter/costlier options.

HSS rated for 400 lbs???? Pretty sure its rated for a fall from a 400 lb person. A 400 Lb rope wouldnt cut it if a 200 lb guy fell from any distance. Thats what its designed for, a fall restraint. I do wish they would advertise it KN rating. I suppose if they stated-- This rope is rated for 2000 lbs...joe blow would figure thats overkill and just go buy farm store rope?

HSS rated for 400 lbs???? Pretty sure its rated for a fall from a 400 lb person. A 400 Lb rope wouldnt cut it if a 200 lb guy fell from any distance. Thats what its designed for, a fall restraint. I do wish they would advertise it KN rating. I suppose if they stated-- This rope is rated for 2000 lbs...joe blow would figure thats overkill and just go buy farm store rope?

Paracord is 500 pounds. I expect the HSS rope is much much higher or they would have been sued out of existence years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back