• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thanking land owners

robstewart

So it’s a funny story but I live an hour drive outside a big city where I work. I found out my coworker owns a 100 acres about 15 min from where I live and a couple years ago I started hunting it with permission. It’s also next door to a farm owned by a friend who has a coyote problem.

Anyway, since then I give her a $100 gift card for the government run liquor store at Christmas. This year she told me she donated it in my name to a charity auction for kids with Down syndrome! I have a brother-in-law with Down syndrome so I thought it was amazing!!!

Anyway, besides sharing meat, what do you do to thank land owners who let you hunt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife baked pies for an elderly widower land owner where I've hunted for years. I've also helped deliver calves on their farm and fix fences. Took him coon hunting because he couldn't walk the woods. He sat in the truck along the woods and listened to his dog.

So it’s a funny story but I live an hour drive outside a big city where I work. I found out my coworker owns a 100 acres about 15 min from where I live and a couple years ago I started hunting it with permission. It’s also next door to a farm owned by a friend who has a coyote problem.

Anyway, since then I give her a $100 gift card for the government run liquor store at Christmas. This year she told me she donated it in my name to a charity auction for kids with Down syndrome! I have a brother-in-law with Down syndrome so I thought it was amazing!!!

Anyway, besides sharing meat, what do you do to thank land owners who let you hunt?

I throw hay during every summer holiday known to man...... also go over & shoot coyotes & foxes (his wife loves watching turkeys) on that note I never mess with turkeys there & showed her how to run a slate call, they get a kick out of it!!

I make sure to send them pictures and a text whenever I prepare and eat the game I killed on their property. Something simple like, "Really enjoyed the squirrel hot wings I made for my family tonight using the squirrels I shot on your property. Thank you again for generously sharing your resources with me!" really seems to go a long way.

I make sure to send them pictures and a text whenever I prepare and eat the game I killed on their property. Something simple like, "Really enjoyed the squirrel hot wings I made for my family tonight using the squirrels I shot on your property. Thank you again for generously sharing your resources with me!" really seems to go a long way.

I hate that our squirrel season is the same as all our small game and bow-deer seasons. (Rabbit goes longer). I could go for some squirrel hot wings with Franks. I put that Sh!t on Everything!

We also give some meat products we make from what we've killed on their property. We get told all the time by everyone who tastes our deer sticks and jerky..."Its the best they've ever eaten"...they ain't just being polite, it IS the best.
So we give some packages of product. It makes the landowner WANT us to come back and kill something so we will give them more stuff.

One parcel I hunt the owner asks for and receives a back strap. I give him a loin also.
Another parcel I help out around the property, pick up trash, mend fences, etc.
Another one I give the owner a Pepperidge farm snack tray/box after the season.
I always try to be thankful.

I always offer meat, but most people that give me permission do not care for venison. Christmas card of my family with a note on how much I appreciate them letting me hunt their property always goes good. Only because my 2 daughters are so damn cute. I have 2 owners that get a $100 gas card each from the local gas station. I am the only one that can hunt the small parcels and they have damn good deer on it.

Back