• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The bow buying experience...

Horn

SH Member
I'm probably (lol, probably) going to buy a new compound bow in the next few months. I'm excited! The shops around me are not. Is this typical? It seems like no one could care less about selling me a bow.
Is there a code word or a secret signal? Do I need to wear a Sitka hat in? What's the deal? Some pretend interest in taking a lot of money off my hands would be nice, just saying.
Hopefully this doesn't come off as whiny, I'm really just curious

Humans are broken. We were doing a crappy job at staying in our holes so we didn’t have to interact in person. Covid helped us perfect the craft. It’ll be a generation before we can get our act together. If ever.

Sorry to be a downer. I interact with people at all levels of companies with work and in all kinds of folks in my personal life. As a general rule, everyone is worse at social interactions now, And want to do it less. Specifically the mechanics of it. The habits. And the desire.

It’s probably that. Or maybe you have bird crap on your hat or something…

I may be wrong, but it is likely the guy who sells you the bow is on hourly wage and isn't making commission on the bow, so he gets the same money at the end of the day whether he sells 10 bows or clips his toenails. If it's a small business, try to talk to the owner. They have a stake in you buying a bow. They can also make a deal.

Find a different shop lol.

The new one I've started using near me is great. Happy to help, usually don't charge me for simple fixes. Let's me throw a shot through paper after a minor adjustment is made and a chrony if I want to. My biggest positive is they don't try to sell me a bow. They show me different bows and the pros/cons of each.

Yes, I have to say the shop near me is really good. Service is good and staff knowledgeable and friendly.

I’d agree with @Micneador on find a new shop. I got my bow at a local place, told them I hadn’t shot a bow in 25 years and needed total help, and they showed me several options, didn’t seem to have any brand preference other than what worked for me, paper tuned it for me, even helped me sight it in. Even for peripherals they showed me options and actually recommended less expensive things because they said a new person should make sure they liked it before they spent up on certain things. Needed a minor fix once and they wouldn’t take a penny and I tried. I go back there to buy anything I need because of that. Could’ve bought my saddle from my chair, drove there instead, folks like that will always earn my business and I’ll do everything I can to keep them around.

2 out of 3 bow shops near me are the same way….luckily I found a decent guy. The first two shops really rubbed me wrong. I also agree as time goes on, people suck. I think it’s cellphones and covid. Everyone has their face in a phone….

I have the same experience generally. I think it’s them having to deal with a lot of weekend warriors and Yahoos who hardly ever practice and who don’t have a clue, and also probably the minutia of having to set up yet another bow for an hour

I may be wrong, but it is likely the guy who sells you the bow is on hourly wage and isn't making commission on the bow, so he gets the same money at the end of the day whether he sells 10 bows or clips his toenails. If it's a small business, try to talk to the owner. They have a stake in you buying a bow. They can also make a deal.

l had the opposite experience when I bought my last bow (pre-covid, lol).

The help set me up to shoot every bow in the shop, including his personal tournament bow. We spun and weighed arrows and picked the creme de la creme. Installed the components with attention to detail, worked with me to tune it, and gave me a pass for tons of free video range time.

I brought my older bow in to match components and tune and got the owner....who could care less that I just bought a flagship bow and whose work didn't come close to the quality of his helper.

2 out of 3 bow shops near me are the same way….luckily I found a decent guy. The first two shops really rubbed me wrong. I also agree as time goes on, people suck. I think it’s cellphones and covid. Everyone has their face in a phone….
I don’t disagree with this, people are getting worse as a whole as people, but I also think as consumers we tend to complain more businesses more quickly than we praise. Get mad, 1 star review, tell everyone we know. Leave happy, don’t say a word. Not always, but certainly not uncommon.

As we are all staring at our phones reading this....

I have the same experience generally. I think it’s them having to deal with a lot of weekend warriors and Yahoos who hardly ever practice and who don’t have a clue, and also probably the minutia of having to set up yet another bow for an hour

Yeah, it's kind of the business. If they aren't passionate about doing quality work for each and every customer, I hope it erodes their reputation. I'd think weekend warriors and Yahoos (aka most hunters) might even deserve a little extra attention. Not much you can do to help the one's who already know everything.

I had a similar experience when I bought my bow. I went to one shop and couldn't get anyone's attention, then when I finally did it was like pulling teeth to get them to set it up for me to try on their indoor range. I walked out not buying.

I went to another shop and I got 1:1 personal attention for over an hour while a guy set up a bows for me to try. I've gone back to that shop for all my needs since then.

so, shop around. even if you have to drive

Have you tried schupachs in Jackson? When I have gone in there previously they were helpful. The guys at Adams down by Milan when I stopped in there seemed helpful. It's a bit of a drive for you. But if I'm not busy and your headed down there later this season, let me know. I might tag alone just to browse. I'm debating getting a new one.

It’s this and many people just test drive a bow and then walk out the door. After having taken the time to set up a bow and then the customer walks out it kinda wears folks out after awhile especially time after time after time. As other folks said find another shop. I’d also write down the features/specs you want and brands you’re interested in with comparisons. This shows the shop/Tech that you’re a real customer who wants to make a purchase and not a tire kicker. This info was given to me by a bow shop tech btw.

It’s this and many people just test drive a bow and then walk out the door. After having taken the time to set up a bow and then the customer walks out it kinda wears folks out after awhile especially time after time after time. As other folks said find another shop. I’d also write down the features/specs you want and brands you’re interested in with comparisons. This shows the shop/Tech that you’re a real customer who wants to make a purchase and not a tire kicker. This info was given to me by a bow shop tech btw.
This. Bout got in a fistfight with my brother-in-law at a family gathering because he went to not one but TWO golf shops to get fitted for clubs so he could be sure he had the right specs to buy them online cheaper.

Humans are broken. We were doing a crappy job at staying in our holes so we didn’t have to interact in person. Covid helped us perfect the craft. It’ll be a generation before we can get our act together. If ever.

Sorry to be a downer. I interact with people at all levels of companies with work and in all kinds of folks in my personal life. As a general rule, everyone is worse at social interactions now, And want to do it less. Specifically the mechanics of it. The habits. And the desire.

It’s probably that. Or maybe you have bird crap on your hat or something…
Well as far a bird doo-doo I wasn't wearing a hat. It's potentially my pathetic and poorly kept Mohawk though :tearsofjoy:

Have you tried schupachs in Jackson? When I have gone in there previously they were helpful. The guys at Adams down by Milan when I stopped in there seemed helpful. It's a bit of a drive for you. But if I'm not busy and your headed down there later this season, let me know. I might tag alone just to browse. I'm debating getting a new one.
I haven't tried them yet. I actually grew up in Onsted though, so I'm familiar with Schupachs. Familiar with Milan but not that shop. That sounds like the beginning of a plan to me. I'd definitely appreciate having you along

I appreciate all the responses! I thought this post would be a flop. I'll get back with y'all in the morning, 4:30 comes extra early towards the end of the week and I'm not even really very old yet..

A lot of the reasons people have mentioned on here are why I've dreamt of a bow shop local to me. There's a niche to fill on my side of a large metropolitan area. I just need a large building, a few posts for "try before you buy" saddle gear and about 80k to start it all :sweatsmile:

Back