• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The history of trailcams

gettingstarted

Came across a an interesting article:

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

Haven't had time to read the entire article but, skimmed through it and definitely remember the Trail Timer with the piece of string. Dad and I would run out and check it and be excited to know that "something" walked by the timer at 4:58pm. You never knew what it was but knew it was something. lol

"British Columbia has already outlawed the use of wireless trail cameras during hunting seasons and many states in the US are making similar changes."

I'm not the type to wanna tell peeps what they are/aren't allowed to do but I'm all for this 1.....

If anyone is thinking about getting a cell cam-for what it's worth, I've had very good performance with the Moultrie Edge cameras. I have them set at properties in NW PA & Ohio that I hunt. Both locations have very weak or no cell signal showing on my phone. I hang them high with a solar power cell, & so far they've been great! The Edge camera is one of those that isn't assigned to one cell network, but uses the strongest cell signal in the area that it's in. Here's a shot of one that my son & I set this past weekend!

7AE363E2-B2E9-4404-9D07-491E481DCFF0.jpeg

Last edited:
That Trail Timer cracks me up. I think we still have one in a drawer at deer camp. At least the bears did not eat them like the first film based trail cameras. Undeveloped film must smell like food because our early film cameras did not last long.

I think I heard it was the cellulose used in the film.

"British Columbia has already outlawed the use of wireless trail cameras during hunting seasons and many states in the US are making similar changes."

I'm not the type to wanna tell peeps what they are/aren't allowed to do but I'm all for this 1.....
I kinda agree with wireless cams ban, however regular cams should stay imo

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

I’m still on the fence about this. I use/used them last year for the first time and the only perceived advantage they gave me was staying power. The morning I shot my buck, two other shooters were working through and although neither was the buck I shot…. seeing them in real time kept me in the woods from before first light until almost noon when I arrowed my buck. The forecast said the rain would stop at 5 am. It didn’t until 9:30 or so and I was soaked and the wind picked up. Around 10:30 I felt the buzz in my phone and one giant was working through about 80 yards to my northwest. An hour went by and never saw him again nor on any of my cams but another buzz and a different buck heading opposite from me. Almost a half hour later and my buck came in from the opposite of my cell cam… shot him and although I heard him crash, I waited my half hour and during that time another shooter came by the same way mine came into me. He walked the same trail and everything as my buck did and I easily could have shot him. Here where I sat all morning there was absolutely no activity in my immediate vicinity from first light until almost noon and I most likely would have gotten out because I was soaked. That camera taking two pictures of two different bucks kept me in the woods long enough to make something happen. They didn’t give me any decided hunting advantage at all that day. Does that mean the camera should not be allowed?? I can also see several scenarios where they could have given me an advantage too but I sometimes think people over estimate what they actually can do for you. I’m still on the fence…. Is it fair chase? I mean the deer don’t have fences blocking them in the woods after the pics are taken…… I’m not sure they should be outlawed but I’m also not sure they don’t give you an advantage beyond fair chase. I’m still hoping I see a booner in the woods from my cell cam and I go set up and he comes in but after that they can outlaw them!!!

Less and less every year. I use them for inventory and to scout at a distance, but I think I get closer, easier......by keeping my scent out of my kill areas.
I'll never go to cell cams. Unless I lived hours or states away, it just breeds laziness imo. Things change so quickly that without boots on the ground, it's all for nothing.

Less and less every year. I use them for inventory and to scout at a distance, but I think I get closer, easier......by keeping my scent out of my kill areas.
I'll never go to cell cams. Unless I lived hours or states away, it just breeds laziness imo. Things change so quickly that without boots on the ground, it's all for nothing.
I beg to differ. All my cell cam is telling me is that particular deer is alive and kicking at the time of the photo/video. Everything else is just a guess such as did he move 2 miles overnight looking for does or move 500 yards closer to a hot oak etc.

I’m still on the fence about this. I use/used them last year for the first time and the only perceived advantage they gave me was staying power.
Great point here. I feel pretty similar. I am glad that I ran cameras last year (from January to January) because it showed me that deer move at all times of the day. This is something that everyone knows intuitively, but it definitely had the "seeing is believing" effect for me. Now, I don't really feel like I need cameras. That said, I may use them to get an inventory of a new area or just hype myself up for the next season. Plus, it never gets old getting a random picture of something cool, like a bobcat, when you've seen nothing but does for weeks.

Both private properties that I can hunt, ( in NW PA & Southern OH) are a 6 hr drive. I love the cell cams for that reason!

I beg to differ. All my cell cam is telling me is that particular deer is alive and kicking at the time of the photo/video. Everything else is just a guess such as did he move 2 miles overnight looking for does or move 500 yards closer to a hot oak etc.

Like I said.....inventory.

I think my first trail cam was a stealth cam film camera. Then I got into building my own using controller boards and instructions from a forum named Hagshouse. That was fun for a while. Then it just got easier and cheaper to buy factory cams. Then I moved into cell cams and never looked back. I run all my cams all year long.

Back